Chapter 5

"You're early." Dr. Phillips states as I walk through his door.

"I finished early at work, so I decided to head over. Is that alright?"

"It's fine Kayla. I had a cancellation, so you actually arrived right on time." He smiles at me and I can't help but to return it. "Are you planning on being as open with me as you were a few days ago?"

"Yes actually. I have a lot to say today. You have no idea what's happened in the last two days." I say as I take a seat in my chair.

"So, I take it you and Brady finally spoke?"

"I guess you can say that." I laugh.

"You're being very vague. Are you ready to start?"

"Yeah, but first I want to ask you a question."

"Go ahead then."

"I was wondering, what's your first name?"

"Nicholas." He answers looking up from his notes.

"Nicholas." I say looking back at him. "That's a strong name, it suits you."

When I say his name, I see him start to rearrange himself in his seat, and he gets a look on his face that I have never seen from him before. His eyes turn from blue to a deep grey and he's gripping his pen so tight in his hand, I think it may break. I look away from him before speaking, hoping to break the tension that has settled in the room.

"Would you like for me to tell you what happened last week with Brady?"

"Yes, let's get started." He clears his throat. "Just start from when you left her Tuesday till today."

"When I left here Tuesday, I drove straight home only to find Brady alone in our house with his secretary, Morgan. I entered the house quietly, walked into the living room, and sat in the chair across from the two of them. Neither of them even noticed me in the room, until I cleared my throat and finally spoke. Keep in mind we haven't spoken in two months. I asked them that was going on and Brady made up some excuse about needing to fax a file immediately. Of course, she instantly went along with what he had said. Brady left the room to go get the paper he supposedly needed from his office, and I confronted her. In short, I told her to keep her hands off what's mine and she accused me of threatening her. Brady came back into the room as I was walking out of it and into the kitchen. They talked quietly for a few minutes, she left, then he came storming into the kitchen fuming. He was mad at me because Morgan told him the things, I said to her. Of course, he took her side and told me how wrong I was for treating her that way. I told him he knows how to pick them, he asked me why I couldn't be normal for once, then he left. We haven't spoken since."

When I finish telling him what happened, I look at him to see him staring at me. We sit there looking at each other for what seems like forever, before I look away. What had gotten into him today? Nicholas has never acted like this during one of our sessions. Maybe he's just having an off day. I take the chance to look back at him and he is still looking at me, but now he looks as if he is aggravated.

"Nicholas are you okay?" When I say his name, I hear him take a sharp breath before he finally speaks.

"Mikayla, you deserve to be treated so much better than what he is treating you."

"I agree you, but what can I do to make things better? It's like the more I try, the more he pulls away. Then all this stuff with my mother happened, which only made things worse. Plus, I think he is having an affair, but I can't prove it. He swears he's not, but things don't add up. Like they say, 'what's done in the dark, comes to the light'. If he's doing wrong, it'll all come out on wash day.