The Truth (chapter 4)

Selena POV

"Have a seat dear," Sofia says to her son. "Lisa and Selena, this is Nathaniel--" Nathan clears his throat and she says, "Oh I'm sorry, he doesn't like it when I call him Nathaniel. This is Lisa and Selena," Sofia introduces us.

He shakes my mom's hand with a smile, and then mine with a visibly supressed scowl.

"Nice to meet you. Nathaniel." I say, smirking when I see his annoyed expression.

"Nathan. Call me Nathan please." He replies through a forced smile.

Oh boy, this is going fun!

****

Within the next hour, the salad passes and the soup course has almost come to an end.

"How is school?" Lisa asks me.

"Fine." I say automatically, knowing where this conversation is going to lead to.

"Oh, what school do you go to?" Sofia asks cheerfully.

"Elm High School." I say, waiting for her to realize it is the same school as Nathan.

"Oh! Isn't that where Nathan attends?"

I almost snort. Yeah, that's where Nathan was supposed to, but didn't attend half of his classes today.

But instead I clear my throat and say politely; "Yes." Through a tight smile.

"Well that's lovely! I guess you two will be seeing a lot more of each other then." She says through a sincere smile.

I smile back, as does Nathan, with a tried nice smile, but ends up awkward.

Somehow everyone drifts off into conversation, and I end up talking to Kelly.

"What high school do you want to go to?" I ask nicely.

"I don't wanna go where Nathan goes. Or my other brother went." She answers quietly.

Brothers?

"Tom went there too?" I ask.

"No." She replies simly.

"Well then what do you mean?"

"My other brother went there." She answers.

"Other brother?" I nearly choke as I say that.

"Yeah, his name is--" Kelly starts.

"Kelly!" Her mother snaps. Then Sofia clears her throat and puts on her nice face again. "No need to talk about business at the table." Sofia says, choosing her words 'business' carefully.

Now my mother says, "Speaking of business...we discovered new...things."

I breathe out in disbelief. HOW did I know that her business would end up following me here too?

"Business?" I ask through a clentched smile.

"Yes, I'm sure Sofia would like the progress on her SON'S case." My mother said.

"You're--Sofia Parker?" I say, unable to mask my shock.

"Of course, I thought you already knew that." She answers.

So the 'other brother' is the boy boy. Nathan is that guy's brother. The guy that tried to rob my father's back. My mother is fighting that guy's case. THAT GUY.

How does he keep coming into my life?

"You're--THE...Nathan Parker?"

"In the flesh," He replies.

I clear my throat. "Well it has been a lovely evening Sofia, but I'm afriad I have an English assignment due tomorrow, so thank you for the delicious food and have a nice night." I say through my best fake smile.

"Oh no, leaving so soon?" Nathan asks sarcastically.

"Im afraid so. I am sorry, and thank you for the brilliant dinner."

"Selena. Stay." My mother says in her best disguised stern voice.

"No." I snap. My face reddens as I turn back to the Parkers. "Thanks again." I say.

And I rush out of there.

****

I lie down on my bed and sigh.

I wasn't lying, I really do have an english essay due tomorrow.

I sigh again out of tiredness, frustraion, and annoyance.

Why does all the dinners my mom invites me to are for business? ALL of them. It's ridiculous.

Pathetic, actually.

I sit up on my bed, open up my Macbook Pro, and put on the song "One Way or Another" with One Direction singing it.

I open facebook and see I have 23 friend requests, 200 messages, and 15 notifications.

I log out of facebook without even bothering to go through everything, and open textedit.

Then I start typing.

****

DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG...My doorbell goes off four times.

"Whaaat?" I groan still asleep.

The doorbell rings again.

WHY?

I force myself up and walk clumsily to the door.

I open the door and see Nathan chilling on the door post.

I'm wide awake now.