Chapter 2: Ser Harwin Strong

Here we get introduced to our OC Eleana Targaryen!!

The doors to the chambers opened, and Rhaenyra cracked a small, tired smile upon seeing her boys, Lucerys and Jacaerys, playing with their toys on the floor. Rhaenyra's eldest daughter, and first child, Eleana, was sitting on the plush sofa, reading a book, with Ser Harwin Strong, the Commander of the City Watch, sitting beside her, pointing out things in the book. The two were immensely close, even more so than Harwin was with the boys, and unlike her younger brothers, she alone knew that she was Harwin's daughter. He placed a tender kiss on her head, Laenor not seeing the interaction, and stood to greet Rhaenyra. 

'Mother,' the boys said, coming over to their mother. Eleana stood, closing the book. Next to Harwin, side by side, she looked like his spitting image. Dark hair, dark eyes, the same kind, jovial smile. It was a wonder Alicent hadn't really pointed out that difference. But then again, she had. Just like she did with all of Rhaenyra's children after they had been born. Everyone seemed to have a fondness for young Eleana, though. She was kind, and pretty, and soft-spoken. As bold as her father and as intelligent as her mother. 

'Look,' the boys said, and removed the lid off of a metal case to reveal a dragon egg sitting in simmering coals. 'We chose an egg for the baby.' 

'Ah,' Rhaenyra said, taking Harwin's arm as he helped her sit down, 'that looks like the perfect one.'

'I let Lucerys choose,' Jacaerys, fondly nicknamed "Jace", said. 

'Thank you, Jace,' Lucerys, also nicknamed "Luke", replied. 

'Not every day an egg leaves the Dragonpit, Princess,' Ser Harwin said. 'I thought it best to escort the lads.' 

'Did you go with them?' Rhaenyra asked Eleana. 

'No, Mother,' she said softly, picking up her book again and beginning to thumb through it, stopping only for a moment to make eye contact with her mother. 'I thought the boys should choose our brother's dragon egg, just as Ser Laenor chose mine.' Eleana's dragon egg was still in a large metal case of its own, for safekeeping. It had not hatched when it was placed in the cradle alongside her, and like her young uncle Aemond, Alicent's youngest child, of which they were very close in age - neither of their chosen dragon eggs had hatched. Not that they not ever going to claim a dragon, but it would just take time for them to find their chosen dragons. Only a few Targaryen children hadn't had their eggs hatch as soon as they were placed in the cradle with them. Her brothers' eggs had hatched, as had her uncle Aegon's, and her aunt Helaena's. 

'Laenor and I thank you, commander,' Rhaenyra said gratefully. Harwin looked over to the baby. 

'Another boy, I heard,' Harwin remarked. 'Might I?' he asked. 

'Ser Harwin wishes to be introduced to Joffrey,' Rhaenyra said. 

'Of course,' Laenor replied, and placed the little one into Harwin's arms, the commander holding him ever so gently, softly rocking him in his arms. 

'Joffrey, is it?' Harwin asked, Laenor giving a nod of assent. 

'Father, may I please hold Joffrey?' Luke asked, looking up at Laenor. 

'No, no, no. Back to the Dragonpit with you two, before they send out a search party,' Laenor said, urging the boys out of the room, shutting the doors behind him, leaving Harwin, Rhaenyra and Eleana alone in the room. 

'You're asleep in front of the Commander of the City Watch,' Harwin remarked jokingly. 'Terrible lack of respect.' Rhaenyra and Eleana chuckled. 

'A certain insolence runs in the family, I'm afraid,' Rhaenyra replied, Harwin smiling fondly down at the baby boy. Eleana came forward, holding out her arms for the little one, and Harwin handed her baby brother to her. Eleana cooed softly, and the baby mimicked her coos. 

'He's beautiful, Mother,' she said, then looked up at Harwin as he gently kissed her on the forehead, taking back the baby. 

'My darling girl,' Harwin said softly, reaching out and stroking his daughter's cheek with nothing but a look of adoration in his eyes. Eleana turned and inclined her head slightly to her mother. 

'If you'll excuse me, I'm going to see my brothers at the Dragonpit.' She left the room.