Chapter 23: A Premonition

It had been weeks since their newfound companionship. Zelda had insisted that they keep what happened in Gerudo Desert on the downlow, mostly so her father would still allow her to travel to the Divine Beasts. It seemed only Link, Zelda, and Urbosa knew about the incident, and they kept it that way. Not even Impa, Zelda's best friend, was sure why the two now walked and talked together suddenly, but she wasn't going to ask. Her gaze focused on them, only small dots in the distance now.

She had always seen the way Zelda looked at Link-- while there was jealousy, anger, and spite, there was also silent admiration, and the desire to be like him. She looked up to him, whether she wanted to admit it or not, but Impa wasn't going to force the words out of their throats. Whatever happened to make them so close... Well, that definitely wasn't any of her business.

The king was too busy to be concerned with his daughter's new attitude with her knight, but Impa's concerns were that they were... close. How else could she explain the sudden change in behavior? They constantly were sharing these obviously meaningful expressions. No doubt Urbosa encouraged it in the valley with all their "love classes," but who was Impa to try to take it away from her? Zelda finally seemed happy...

Perhaps she was just upset that her princess wasn't sharing her life with her like she used to. Zelda now had Link to banter to, and Impa had been pushed aside. She hadn't even spoken to the princess since she had returned from Vah Naboris; instead, she was almost looked over.

She didn't want to seem jealous as she watched the princess, dressed in her traveling gear, step down towards Castle Town with Link beside her, nodding and smiling. With a huff, she turned around and let them go on their date, without realizing that Captain Soren was rushing towards her atop his black steed. Arythro whinnied at his side as Soren held his reins and Impa frowned at the sight. "What are you--!?"

"Where is Champion Link?" he snapped, sounding breathless. "It's important; there's an attack threatening Woodland Stable northeast-- or worse, Rauru's Settlement, where everyone's been evacuated to. I need him-- my men and I are not enough for what's coming!"

Link kept his smile small as he glanced away from the princess. It had never occurred to him how interesting she actually was; she liked to take true-to-life images on the Sheikah Slate whenever she could, and had become an artist from it. Her research notes were messy and unintelligible to him, but he enjoyed listening to her because she, for once, seemed content.

Perhaps because of him? He took pride in that, and his grin etched across his face as she finished displaying her showcase of flowers, Guardian parts, and an occasional self-portrait. "You know, we'll have to get a painting together sometime," she said as she lowered the slate thoughtfully. "A princess and her knight. It only seems fitting."

Her gaze told him she wasn't joking, and he briefly nodded. They walked further down into the town, where Zelda had only a few errands to run. They met with Amoto, a Goron blacksmith who had helped the Sheikah create prototype weapons out of the Guardian technology, then made their way to the cathedral, where a clergy adorned Zelda in a golden Goddess Hylia rosary.

She prayed there occasionally, hoping that would show her gratitude to Hylia for blessing her with Link and his bravery. Link may have rescued her, but she chose to believe the Goddess had something to do with him getting to her in time. It was fate. They didn't have time to pray that day, and soon they were on their way to a town store that had become a favorite of Zelda's.

Karani's Bakery was a quaint tea shop, colored brightly and had decorative seating. It was a cozy place that Zelda recently discovered when Link showed it to her on one of their earlier busy days. He insisted they had the best cakes, and sure enough, their unique fruitcake had her in love. She tried to not crave it every day, but whenever Link could walk her into town, they would stop by and get her a treat.