iii.

Hunter was outside with the Greene family collecting rocks for the service they would have for Otis. As the hours passed, Hunter still didn't believe Shane. He had been acting weird since the moment he came back. And since Rick returned, Shane's been acting weird but this time was different.

Hunter turned at the sound of Daryl's motorcycle. He smiles at the sight of his group driving onto the farm. He felt safer with all of them here. Not like Hershel's family would do anything to them. But if walkers came they'd have more people to defend the farm.

Hunter could see a future on this farm. They could help rebuild it, and make it safer from the dead. They could actually live without fear. It was the perfect place.

"How is he?" Dale asks as he made his way up to Lori.

"He'll pull through," Lori says smiling, "Thank's to Hershel and his people."

"And Shane," Rick adds, and Hunter rolls his eyes, "We'd have lost Carl if not for him."

Dale took a step forward and embraced Rick, "How'd it happen?"

"A hunting accident," Rick answers, "That's all, just a stupid accident."

Hunter set down the rocks he had and walked over to Carol pulling her into his arms. He always liked Carol, and he was glad that Ed was out of her life so he couldn't hurt her anymore.

"Next we find Sophia."

____

Hunter stood next to Lori as the Greene family started their little funeral for Otis. Lori rests her head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around her as Hershel stepped forward to speak.

"Blessed be God, father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace."

It was a lovely passage from the bible. Herschel closed the book and looks at Shane, "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

Hunter perked up at that. He would love to hear what Shane would say about Otis. But Shane shakes his head, "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments," Patricia cries out, "Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning."

"Okay," Shane nods as he steps forward, "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. We've got to save the boy. See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me away. Run, he said. He said, I'll take the rear. I'll cover you. And when I looked back..."

Hunter studied Shane as the man picked up the rock and placed it on the others. Even with Shane telling the story again it only sounded like a story. Something he made up on the spot.

"If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

Hunter's eyes met Daryl's, and by the looks of it, it seemed like Daryl didn't believe Shane's story either.

____

"How long has this girl been lost?" Hershel asks them as most of them gathered around the truck.

"This'll be day three," Rick responds as Maggie came over and put the map on the hood of the car.

"County survey map," Maggie says rolling it out, "Shows terrain and elevations."

Hunter nods, "This is great. We can get this search organized."