Takin' Care of Business

Wednesday, Bianca, and Enid spent the evening flipping through yearbooks and articles from the past few years at Nevermore to find something, anything about their mysterious new friend. Dinner had come and gone and Enid was starting to get hangry. "Can't we be done for tonight Wednesday." Enid begged, rubbing her rumbling tummy.

"Have you found anything?" Wednesday asked through her bangs as she sat on the floor by the roaring fireplace of the Nightshades secret meeting room. It was evident, even with Wednesday's constant dismissal of the matter, that her and Enid were the newest members of the elite social society.

"Not yet but-"

"Then no." Wednesday halted Enid's whining. A sound came from above and the girls turned their attention to the stairs where Ajax and Xavier came offering a few boxes of pizza and a tray of coffees from the Weathervane.

"I called in some reinforcements." Bianca said, bounding over to help them set the food on a folded table in the corner of the library.

"Yay!" Enid scrambled from her chair and went over, wrapping her arms around her boyfriend, kissing him harshly on the lips, before digging into the pizza box. Wednesday found the scene to be offensive, while Xavier longed to be able to have someone greet him like that. A particular raven-haired girl specifically. He had to accept though that Wednesday would never be like that. Even if he could pawn his affection off on her she would never be sweet like that.

Xavier took a slice for himself and one for Wednesday, as well as her coffee over to where she sat on the floor. Sensing his presence she looked up at him, a half-smile on his face at seeing her sparing him at least a grain of awareness. She was in detective mode so it meant at least a little to him that she would divert her attention.

"Quad over ice?" She asked, taking the cup from his hand.

"Of course." He handed her the greasy piece of pizza as well. He took his place in the chair Enid had previously occupied and watched as Wednesday took a bite going back to what she was pawing through; an article on the different clubs held at Nevermore and their students from a year ago.

There were a lot of students at Nevermore, and not all of them aired their abilities out like dirty laundry. Of course you could tell who were the vamps, the werewolves, gorgons and the faceless bunch of Nopperabo, but other than that if it was not well known as to what weirdo and monster a student was if it wasn't discussed. Not even all of the psychics knew who all of the psychics were. This made Wednesday's search a lot harder as she kept note of all of the students listed in all of the clubs and societies in the article.

"Have you found anything of importance?" Xavier asked curiously. Of course he wanted to figure out who was stalking Wednesday but he also wanted to know who could also be possibly following him around. While he was a usually paranoid person he knew that he wasn't hallucinating the feeling of being watched. In fact, earlier that day he had been painting in his studio when he heard a rustle of footsteps outside.

"Who's there?" He had asked, hoping that it would be Wednesday. Instead nothing responded, except a crash near a window. When he reached the outside the assailant was gone and only a rogue rake that had been knocked down was left in its place. Xavier picked it up but when he brought his head back up he found a fog covering the glass pane of the window. Not from the inside but from the out. Someone had been staring in.

"I've learned a lot about my fellow classmates, but nothing of interest." Wednesday said, somewhat defeated. "How is it that this individual can know so much about me without my own realization of who they could be?"

"I thought Bianca mentioned they were invisible." Xavier took a sip of his own coffee, black with 6 sugars.

"They are but I'm a very perceptive person, Xavier." Wednesday shut the article she was looking at and turned her gaze at the burning flames of the fireplace. Usually she preferred being ice cold but had to admit the fire was nice. She imagined she was watching her mysterious new enemy burning in a pit. "I should have been able to realize that an invisible being had been following me all this time."