Love Hurts

The rain was long gone by the time Wednesday woke up the next morning. Classes had already begun, and she could hear the laughter of students coming from an open window in the school's infirmary. Her eyes struggled to open, the bright light from the window aiding to the ache in her skull. She groaned, wincing at the pain.

"You're awake!" Xavier exclaimed, moving from his chair in the corner. Wednesday hadn't realized he was there. The last time she had spoken with him was when they were getting hot and heavy in another plane of existence. He replayed everything in his head multiple times since that night and judging by the creeping blush growing up Wednesday's neck, so had she.

He came to her bedside, leaning over her and gently patting her head, avoiding the wound being held together by heavy-duty staples. She put her hand over his, bringing him to a stop. She wanted to let him in, but something in her couldn't let him get too close. Not yet. Not with the killer still on the loose.

He sighed, frustrated that she was still so cold toward him. But it was Wednesday, what did he expect? He pulled up his chair so that he could sit beside her.

"What day is it?" Wednesday rubbed her eyes.

"Friday." He moved his attention towards the window. He glowed in the sunlight, Wednesday thought.

She felt a flutter in her chest as he pushed back his long hair. A memory tickled her hands thinking about how she had run her hands through his sandy locks. "My head hurts."

"They said you have a concussion." Xavier met her dark eyes with his hazel ones, leaning forward he expressed his concern for her. "He said you had a pretty serious vision."

The rush of the vision came back to her and Wednesday was hurrying to get out of bed, "that's right! Patricia!" Xavier stopped her pushing her down, holding her arms to the bed. They were impossibly close again, the scene much like the one in the dreamscape. They could hear their own heartbeats in their ears, this time Xavier pulling away.

"He left you this." Xavier pulled out the nauseating pink journal, Wednesday grasped at it, but Xavier pulled back before she could take it.

"Xavier." She didn't feel like playing his games. "Hand it over."

"Only if you tell me what you were doing out there with him."

Wednesday rolled her eyes. "We were looking for clues." She swiftly took the book from his hands, flipping through the pages. "What kind of question even is that?"

"You weren't hooking up?" Xavier asked. She looked up from the pages, his face lined with worry. Wednesday wished she could tell him about her relationship with Anastasius but she also didn't want to give Xavier any hope. Anastasius was the perfect roadblock to keep her and Xavier apart. As much as it hurt, she'd rather Xavier not be involved in this, as much as she could.

She decided with a simple "no." And began scanning the pages for any leads on where Mariah may be. Wednesday had re-read file after file and had never come across Mariah so where was she? Who was she? She was a mimic, obviously. She was a killer.

As Wednesday thumbed through the pages, one entry caught her eye, reading it aloud, "Riah has been acting weird lately. Ever since outreach day, she's been so angry. When I asked her what happened at the Weathervane she shut me out. It couldn't be that bad, I don't know why she doesn't trust me with things anymore."

"The Weathervane?" Xavier scrunched up his eyebrows trying to remember what had happened. "What was the girl's name again?"

"The mimic's name is Mariah." Wednesday added, "I saw her in Patricia's memories, she has a light mocha complexion, and she's not much taller than me-"