In The End

They had made it back to the school, the rain still heavy. Nevermore's signature mist clouding around, making it hard to see in front of them. Anastasius and Wednesday helped Xavier up the back staircase to Wednesday's room. He was shivering, paler than normal. His skin was ice-cold and his face was almost purple with how cold he was. There was no doubt that he had hypothermia, and judging by the large pool of blood on his shirt, his wound was open again.

Wednesday ushered them in through the window, Anastasius helping Xavier onto her bed. Wednesday gathered all of the blankets she could in the room and threw them over Xavier's frail body. There was no sign of Amary or Enid, which Wednesday was glad for. She was sure that this entire fight with Mariah wasn't over and she didn't need either of them to be here for it.

Wednesday scoured her room for all of her weapons and tools to fight Mariah, this wasn't over and she was going to have to go out there on her own to take her down. Moving towards the window, Anastasius grabbed her wrist. "Where are you going?" He asked, his eyebrows knit together in worry.

"You know how powerful she is. She's still out there." She pulled away from Anastasius' grip, getting a glimpse of her hand. The scar from Thornhill, still there. It was a long gash across her palm that had healed over almost completely, but you could still see its slight outline. An idea scorched her brain and she raced over to her desk where the pile of books over mimicry lie scattered open. With frenzy, she searched for a passage she remembered reading.

"Killing a Mimic:" Wednesday read out loud. "A mimic isn't an easy creature to kill."

"No shit," Anastasius interjected.

Wednesday continued, "But, they are subject to rare blood. When mixed with the blood of another supernatural being that they share a bond with, the effects are deadly." Wednesday produced her hand, showing Anastasius the scar. "She shared a vision with me back at the mill. We must be bonded. If I can just get close enough to her I can poison her.

"And if it doesn't work?" Anastasius asked. He highly doubted the simplicity of this plan.

"It has to work." Wednesday shut the book, starting out the window. Anastasius watched her go, longing for all of this to be over. He looked back at Xavier who was asleep in Wednesday's bed, the color returning to his cheeks. He knows Wednesday thinks she has this handled, but sometimes you need a backup plan. Anastasius snuck outside of her room, leaving the sleeping boy alone.

Wednesday was out in the quad, wading through the mist and rain. It was eerily quiet. She wasn't sure where all of the other students were. Checking her phone she pulled up Enid's messages. Nothing.

"Where are you?"

She sent the message, receiving another one in record time.

"I went home? I was going to text you but I hadn't seen you, I thought you already left?"

Wednesday sighed, so they were all sent home? Maybe that was for the best. She left Enid on read, tucking her phone back into her pocket. It really was just Wednesday on her own now.

Through the steady fall of rain, Wednesday listened closely, thwaps and hissing coming from the wide open space around her. She glanced around, looking for the source of the sound. A stream of thick red blood trailed across the stone arches of Nevermore.

Wednesday squinted through the fog, and a rather large nightmarish serpent slithered out, painting the side of the building in more blood. As it came out of the mist, Mariah transitioned back to her natural state, vengeful and wicked.

"You decided to show up?" Wednesday taunted, she wasn't backing down.

"I won't give up," Mariah commented, holding her side, she was still bleeding pretty heavily.