Part Three

Part Three

He is gorgeous. The upper half portrait of the unknown guy from my dream is finished just before we reach the island. My favourite feature is his lips, the cupid bow defined lips complete his face. Everything makes sense, right down to the small splatter of light freckles across his nose and cheeks. The only thing I'm unhappy with is the eyebrows. I lightly run my finger over the weird eyebrows, they aren't right. For some reason I'm straining to picture them, every time I think back to the dream his eyebrows seem to draw a blank in my mind.

I've already redrawn them twice, but this will have to do. I tuck the pencil behind my ear and hold the picture up under the light better.

"He is good looking." Nana comments, appearing beside me.

I look up at her grinning face. "His eyebrows aren't working."

"What's on his neck?" she points to the drawing.

I follow her gaze, tapping my fingers on the edge of the page. For some reason I drew the gills on the side of his neck, he had them in my dream, so it made sense to add them. I don't think I got the gills completely right, but they are working for the picture just fine.

"They are gills."

She raises both brows. "Gills?"

I nod. "He's a mermaid."

"Merman." She corrects.

"Hmm?" I look up at her from the picture.

"Males are called merman."

"Right, merman." She's got a good point. It never crossed my mind before now that of course they would be called merman instead of mermaids. Mermaids are the females.

She pats my shoulder. "He's still awfully pretty to look at. I wish I could dream of pretty fellas like that."

I laugh, closing my drawing pad. "I'm sure if you concentrated hard enough you could do it."

She smiles, shrugging. "Your pop will have to do." She winks at me before heading below to get ready. Alex is steering the boat close enough to the island to use the small dingy to get onto the island.

I start gathering the items I'll need for today. Jack helps load them onto the dingy boat, helping nana onto the boat as well.

"We should be back around eleven am, that work for you guys?" Alex asks, appearing next to Jack.

I nod, sitting down on the bench next to the motor on the dingy. "Make sure you catch plenty of fish for lunch."

Jack grins, folding his arms across his chest. "You bet your ass we're coming back with a truck load."

Nana laughs. "I'll believe that when I see it. you boys behave yourselves. Be careful." She gives them both a warning look.

They both nod in return. "Yes, nan." They say in unison.

"Love you both." She blows them a kiss as I start the motor.

"Love you too, keep an eye on Isla." Jack waves as we drift away from the bigger boat.

Alex blows a kiss back to nana. "Love you both, find me something pretty, Isla."

I wave, directing the dingy towards the island. "You got it, brother." I shout back to them.

Like the good boys they are they hang around in the waters until we're safely on the island. They watch as we pull the dingy onto the beach, so it won't float away on us. I jump on the big rock near the edge of the water and wave to them as they start pulling away.