Part Six

Part Six

One week. That's how long I spend in hospital surrounded by rotating shifts between my family members and the growing number of flowers and cards from friends and well-wishers. Emily has visited me every day this week, giving me updates on the events I've missed in the last four months.

My tragic event put a damper on a lot of things around town. Apparently, everyone had just started to make a head in the direction of moving on when I washed up on my family's beach. I was a little puzzled that I managed to swim from beyond Moon Wreck Island all the way to my family's private beach.

Jack had been the one that found me. He and Alex had been heading out for a quick swim to start the day when he saw me laying on the ground. I don't remember much about the events that happened between washing up on the beach and getting to the hospital. I don't remember the tests they completed, or half the conversations Dr Allan had with me about what I remembered from that day.

Apparently, I remember that day perfectly, feels like last week for me but it happened four months ago. My brothers have shared their version of the accident with me, telling me how the spent hours searching the waters while nana tried to get in contact with mum and dad.

Within hours of my going under there were boats everywhere searching for me apparently. Emily showed me the footage the news shared. Nana tried to tell me her version, but she couldn't keep it together long enough to form sentences. I suspect she's feeling very guilty over it. she shouldn't though.

Today Alex is taking the morning shift with me. He's just swapped with mum so she can go home and shower, feel like a human. Her words not mine. Alex has brought uno cards with him today. We play a few rounds before Dr Allan shows up to do her checks.

She thinks my memory will eventually come back and I'll know what happened during the four months I was missing but I don't think it will. No matter how much I strain myself I can't even get a glimpse of what happened.

One minute I was almost drowning and then I was washed up on the beach. The time frame for that feels like a couple of hours for me. I am beginning to seriously doubt I'll ever get to know. It's something I'll just have to live with. On a positive note, it is only four months, it's not like it was years of my life or worse death.

The only other person who feels that way about this is Jack. He's on board with me accepting that I'll never remember. Everyone else seems to be riding the hope wave that Dr Allan keeps persuading them with. A false hope wave.

Dr Allan sighs, scratching some notes down on her pad before she removes the BP cuff from my arm. "I have some good news. I'm happy for you to go home tomorrow on a couple conditions of course."

I gasp. Go home? I can finally go home. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again. As good as the hospitality in the hospital has been the bed sucks ass. "Anything doc." Alex answers for me.

I laugh, nodding. "Anything."

"Weekly check-ups for a few weeks just to make sure everything is still going smoothly."

"That's it?" I ask. It can't be that simple. She's just going to let me go with that one condition?

She nods. "That's it. of course, if you remember anything we'd like to know but in your own time. Like I've been saying, we aren't going to know when exactly your memory will come back if it ever does."

"Absolutely, I promise."

She smiles. "Do you have any other questions?"

"What time can I leave?"

Alex and Dr Allan both laugh at my eagerness. I'm thrilled to be leaving, I can't wait to be home again. I've seriously missed the comforts of home, more than I thought I ever would.