Chapter 2

The next morning, Onyx sat atop the roof of his cabin, watching the sun rise. Onyx had gotten four hours of sleep, which is a normal sleep schedule for him. Besides, being up early also meant you could keep an eye on the area you're at for any threats, which is what Onyx was doing. After a few minutes, Onyx stood up to go explore the forest, only to hear the sound of a door opening and closing, the navy-blue hedgehog glancing over to see Sonic walking out of his cabin, which was typically the blue roofed one, the cobalt hero stretching his arms before he dashed off into the forest.

'Now where in the world is he off to?' Onyx wondered. Letting his curiosity get the best of him, Onyx jumped down with ease and followed Sonic, keeping a far enough distance away to avoid being spotted, soon halting behind some bushes to see Sonic standing in front of an old looking statue with green eyes and two torches with green flames lit at each side of it. The sight of the flames intrigued Onyx, and without thinking, he stepped out of where he was to investigate further.

"You always run into the strangest things in places that are supposed to be normal." Onyx commented, having Sonic jump a bit before he glanced over at him.

"I thought you made it clear that you wanted nothing to do with me." Sonic said to Onyx.

"I blame you for inheriting your curiosity." Onyx replied in annoyance. "Besides, how long have you known this statue has been here?" He asked him.

"I first discovered it sometime last week, and never understood why it's here." Sonic replied as he turned back to the statue, ears down in clear annoyance.

Onyx noticed Sonic's body language, but decided to ignore it and walked up to the green flame on one of the torches. Why was this here? Was it possible that someone besides Onyx and Blaze had fire powers? Onyx glanced up at the statue, almost shuddering at how creepy the statue looked. It was the height of an average human man, up to six feet tall, and looked like it had a monkey's head with a human-like body, and it's hands looking like those of a lobster with long sharp fangs sticking down its lower lip.

'Sure hope whoever this was didn't actually look like this in real life.' Onyx thought to himself.

"Judging by the green flame, it seems you're not the only one with the power of a colored flame besides orange." Sonic commented.

"Looks like it." Onyx replied, most of his attention set on the statue. "And based on how this statue looks, it was probably built centuries ago." He observed.

"People normally don't build statues of someone unless after they've died, but I can't imagine any Mobian would look like this." Sonic inquired.

"Like I said, this was built centuries ago and whoever it was, I can only guess that they were a villain and used their fire for evil purposes, hence why they'd have the idea to build a statue to look this way as a way of mocking them." Onyx replied.

"The lengths people would go to when they hate someone is sometimes surprising." Sonic commented. "But then again, you did try to kill me almost constantly." He added.

Onyx's ear flicked in response. "It wasn't at my own will, and yesterday was simply the effects of Eggman's influence." He said in a slight growl, whipping his head to glare at Sonic.

"Noted." Sonic replied. "We should probably head back though, maybe Tails will have some ideas once we tell him about this." He suggested.

'He does seem slightly more serious than what I'm used to seeing, perhaps time really does change people.' Onyx thought before he and Sonic then dashed back to the cabin.

*   *   *

Once Sonic and Onyx made it back to the cabins, Sonic walked inside the orange roofed one, probably to inform Tails of the statue and flame. Onyx, still in no mood to be around them both after what they did to him, walked inside his own cabin, which had a green roof and was next to Sonic's blue roofed one. Onyx sat on his bed, pondering on everything that had happened, even remembered some certain memories of him discovering his fire powers sometime after he became a Mobian.