Chapter 20

Dahlia stared at the room in front of her. "I can do this. I can do this," she said to herself.

Turns out there was a sun summoner, after all. Dahlia honestly hadn't given it much thought - she'd been too preoccupied with moving into the Little Palace and interacting with Saida, after all - but now that the sun summoner truly existed, Dahlia kind of wanted to slap them. I mean, how was she going to fix this guest room - sorry, sun summoner room, now - in two hours?!

Dahlia took a deep breath. Other servants had done most of the work. She just needed to finish it off.

Dahlia cleaned the bath until it shone, changed the pillows, and checked the furniture. She was about to take a letter opener out of the drawers, then thought to herself: I think the sun summoner can handle a letter opener, Dahlia, before putting it back and closing the drawer.

By the time the sun summoner arrived at the Little Palace, Dahlia had finished well before early afternoon, and was now watching the rest of the grisha rush to the throne room. She saw Saida walk past her and actually snorted. Saida glanced at her, then stopped and squinted at her. She approached her.

"What are you doing?"

"Well, I wa-"

Saida grabbed Dahlia's upper arms and turned her around. "No one cares, go to your room." She pushed Dahlia into her room.

"Hey!" Dahlia exclaimed as her sister started to close the door on her. The servant stubbornly put her foot out, blocking the door from moving any closer.

"No otkazat'sya except necessary ones are allowed right now." Saida glanced back on hearing a noise. Dahlia watched a redhead wearing a cream kefta rush past her. "If Kirigan catches you-" Saida paused. "I have an idea."

"Wait wh-hey-"

Saida grabbed Dahlia's hand and led her to the library. "What are you doing!?" Dahlia hissed. Saida pushed her into the library.

"You'll thank me. Now you have books to read."

Dahlia made a strangled noise of protest.

"Ssh, it's a library." Saida gave Dahlia a smile, then shut the door in her face.

Dahlia heard Saida's footsteps recede as she hurried down the hall. The servant stood there for a few moments, bewildered by what she'd just experienced. Then, she sighed, turned around to face the library, and walked to the bookshelves.

_

By the time dinnertime was over, Dahlia was exhausted. Baghra had asked her to clean her hut again, even though it seemed fine when she examined it. Then she had to get treats from the market because "the sun summoner wants some." Did she? Did she, Lesya? Or do you just want apricot tarts for yourself? Do you just want to eat all of them and not save any for the others because-

Breathe, Dahlia reminded herself. She took a deep breath to calm her frustration before pulling the trolley into the kitchen. The redhead Dahlia had seen rushing past her earlier now raised an eyebrow at her.

"You look like you're about to kill someone."

"I won't. I'm just very tired," Dahlia sighed. She blinked at the woman, who was eating something. "What are you doing?"

The redhead froze. "It's a cupcake."

"Where did you get the cupcake?" Dahlia asked.

The woman rolled her eyes as she licked the icing off her fingers. "Are you always this suspicious?"