iii . oh no

╭━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╮

𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫
𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦
𝒐𝒉 𝒏𝒐

╰━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╯

For the next few weeks of term, everything was going relatively well at Hogwarts -even with the ever-gloomy dementors flying ominously around the castle. Isadora was ahead in all of her classes and was actually enjoying her defence against the dark arts teacher, who was a humble change from last year's Lockheart -the incarnation of the future Cormac McLaggen.

Hogsmede trips had started up again and Edmund and Isadora were taking full advantage of leaving the eery environment the dementors had made the grounds of Hogwarts.

Isadora nursed her hot, takeaway butterbeer as she waited for Edmund to get his hair trimmed in the salon across from Honeyduke's. His hair was almost passed his collar now and his fringe was tickling his eyes, signifying it was time for a cut.

"I cannot believe they're considering replacing Slytherin with Hufflepuff for the first Quidditch game all because Malfoy was being his dreadful self," Edmund complained as the wizard made his way around his head, cutting the last bits of hair "It's like he wants to be hated."

"What he wants is to get poor Buckbeak put down," Isadora said looking at the mirror reflection of Edmund and taking a sip of her drink.

Edmund huffed in frustration. Isadora studied his furrowed brow in the reflection, the way his pink-tinged nose scrunched up like a bunny rabbit and his lips pouted even more in his annoyance. She couldn't help but smile. His small subconscious habits had become things she found comforting, as much as they went unnoticed by others. Noticing her staring, Edmund looked up from his lap to meet her gaze, his already pink nose and cheeks blushing further. Isadora returned her attention to her drink.

"All done," The wizard said, quickly swiping at the stray hairs around his neck with a brush before removing the clock. Edmund paid and they left, making their way onto the main road and back towards the castle.

The halls were oddly quiet as the pair entered. They could hear some distant movement, but not a student was in sight. They walked towards the staircases, the sound of commotion getting louder as they approached.

"The Fat Lady! She's gone!" Ginny yelled.

Isadora and Edmund shared a puzzled look. Wordlessly they decided to make their way to join the congregation on the stairs to the Gryffindor common room.

"Keep calm everyone! Break into fours! Back to your common rooms!" Percy listed off in between reminding anyone and everyone he was 'head boy!' as if that held much authority to the year levels about first.

"Isadora, Edmund," Hermione noticed. The two of them went to respond before being forcefully shoved on either side of the stair railing.

"Come on. Move!" Filch said, pushing pashed.

Isadora shuddered at the realisation that his ancient corpse hand had actually touched her, and Edmund 'Eh-ugh'ed and scrunched up his neck in disgust.

"You heard! MOVE!" Percy called out. Isadora grumbled and flipped him 'up-yours' fingers behind the cover of Hermione's back. Her stomach flipped upside down when Dumbledore followed shortly after; she hoped he hadn't seen.

She watched as Dumbledore's hand delicately pushed up slashed pieces of the painting.

"How would any human make scratches like that?" Isadora asked Edmund, puzzled by their shape and direction.