xi . the new year

╭━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╮

𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫
𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘹
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓

╰━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╯

The next morning Isadora awoke bright and early. She had expected her body to need extra rest after the tiring night, but it seemed her mind was too focused on 'OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S CHRISTMAS!'.

She received a new pair of gloves from Molly and Arthur and a new book from Fred, George, Ron and Ginny who had all saved up to get it for her, and an autobiography each from Bill and Charlie about famous curse breaker's accounts of daring missions. She received nothing from Percy. Isadora was one of the only students in the common room until Charlotte and Edmund joined her. Charlotte first to deal out her gifts, both of them receiving large masses of Turkish delights accompanied by beautifully detailed and heartfelt cards that made Isadora tear up. "I had never known real friendship until I found you" She had written inside one of the many paragraphs for Isadora.

Isadora handed them each the presents she had gotten next; for Charlotte, a magizoology book that Newt Scamander had helped make, with beautifully hand-drawn images of magical beasts from A-Z, and for Edmund, a golden watch that he'd been longing for back at Diagon Alley during the summer that she had bought it and saved it up until then.

He looked astounded when he opened the box, giving Isadora the warmest smile he could muster. There was something different in the way he looked at her -as if something had clicked. Something in his eyes was unreadable, but all Isadora knew was that her heart was swelling.

Edmund was last to hand out his presents, gifting Charlotte a box of flat enchanted wooden pieces that when matched together would mobilize the magical wooden creature it created -Charlotte got an occamy. Isadora was handed a small box -about the size of a ring box. When she opened it, she found a necklace charm -a heart to be exact. Not just any cartoon heart, it was a small golden replica of a real human heart. Isadora fell in love with it instantly.

She jumped up off the floor and hugged Edmund who was sitting in the armchair, thanking him profusely before asking him to help attach it to the locket of her parents she already wore.

Charlotte was smirking the entire time he readjusted her necklace.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

It took a good amount of the last days of the holidays for Edmund and Isadora to warm up to each other again. They still were slightly tense with each other when school went back. They had stood next to each other in their first potions class of the new year, both of them with their belongings held tight to their chest -Merlin forbid their hands brushed in their close proximity. Charlotte had been watching their behaviour with an amused gaze.

"And who might be able to tell us what this potion is?" Snape had said, pulling the lid off of a cauldron. Pink steam had erupted from it, swirling marvellously, and a waft of the scent of Turkish delights overcame Isadora's senses, though she was a metre or so away.

"It's Amortentia." She had told him while Snape remained silent, "An extremely powerful love potion that holds the scent of the individual's preferred person." He didn't even acknowledge that she had been correct.

"And would anyone like to step forward and describe its smell?" The students all looked at each other before Isadora wearily volunteered first.

"Come forward then Black and tell us what it is you smell."