x . the yule ball

╭━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╮

𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫
𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒚𝒖𝒍𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍

╰━ ⋅☽ ⋅ ━━ ⌁☍ ━━ ⋅ ☾⋅ ━╯

"Isadora!"

Isadora knew it was Edmund following her and purposefully chose to walk faster as she neared the Slytherin common room.

"Ubi amor, ibi dolor," She said. The Slytherin password caused the door serpent to unlock it and let her pass. It unfortunately however, gave Edmund enough time to reach her. He caught her arm as they walked through into their common room.

"Isadora," He repeated. She met his eyes but made sure he knew just how pissed off she was.

"What? Edmund?"

"I..." He didn't seem to have prepared anything to say, "You could've just told me you wanted to go with me."

Isadora was enraged. Of course, this thought had occurred to her too, but she was too upset at him for being so hostile about every person in her vicinity that she didn't care to have a rational discussion.

"And you could've quit being a mumbling coward and asked me instead of standing by while three people got to me first."

Edmund huffed in annoyance, "Why were you so hung up on me anyway? Surely the other three would've been fine. I bet Lee would've been fun-"

"Oh will you stop that!" Isadora cried, "I only want you. I couldn't care less about any other guy at this school! Edmund -I-I..." -tears began to flow down her cheeks. She wished she wasn't so dramatic, this was absolutely no time to cry- "...You're my best friend Ed... in the entire world. There was no one I'd have rather spent the night with than you."

With that, she turned on her heels, ignoring the stares from the few other people in the common room. Edmund called out to her again, but it was weak. Isadora was already fully sobbing by the time she reached her dormitory door.

She skipped dinner that night, pettily not wanting to have to face Edmund after their 'fight'. They had never really fought before. Sure they'd had a few arguments and gotten niggly here and there -both of them getting sick of each other from time to time back when it was just the two of them- but never had it ever escalated to the point where both of them were so upset.

Breakfast had been silent the next morning, and Isadora was sure that Charlotte felt extremely uncomfortable. Isadora couldn't stand it, and as soon as she had finished eating she excused herself, muttering something about the library.

Isadora was going to talk to Sirius about it, she decided. She had sent owls back and forth with him for a while after it came out that she was a Black, but their conversations had since halted. She tried to update him on everything that had happened prior, not wanting him to think she only ever wanted to talk to him when she needed to rant. She asked about how he'd been and how Buckbeak -Hagrid's old Hippogriff- was doing. Eventually, she couldn't stall it any longer and poured her heart out onto the parchment, she admitted a lot of things she had been forcing down and pretending didn't exist. She guessed it was healthy to get it all out... at least writing it down.

After a while of furious calligraphy, she sealed the letter inside an envelope and headed off to the owlery, making sure to avoid all the spots she usually hung out with Charlotte and Edmund.

It was a cold trek up to the owlery but it was refreshing. The icy air cooled her previously heated (with rage) face, though it started to sting her nose as she reached the top of the owlery. When she walked inside, she saw Harry, sucking his finger while looking over a letter.