2

'Sometimes our lives have to be completely shaken up, changed and rearranged to relocate us to the place we're meant to be

'Sometimes our lives have to be completely shaken up, changed and rearranged to relocate us to the place we're meant to be.'

Matteo De Campo.

Even his name was enough to make me want to crawl into a hole and never come out.

'Non dovresti giudicare una persona da ciò che gli altri dicono di loro (You shouldn't judge a person by what other people say about them).'

That's what my mamma would say if she was here right now.

I've not even been here for a day and I'm already missing her.

I'm missing everyone.

How am I supposed to stay here until I complete the job?

"Mr Rossi, take a seat", he said, closing his laptop and looking directly at me.

Of course, my eyes were looking anywhere else and I suddenly found the floor to be quite interesting.

I quickly made my way over to the chair in front of him and sat down, nervously scratching at my wrists underneath the table.

Without actually meeting his eyes, I couldn't quite make out every feature on his face but from what I could see, Matteo De Campo was not a guy you wanted to be on the wrong side of.

He had the whole bad boy look that would have girls instantly drawn to him and guys envy him.

He was wearing a black shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Various tattoos covered his arms and I couldn't help but wonder what they all meant and what the story behind them were.

A couple of bracelets decorated his wrist and he wore rings on most of his fingers.

I didn't have to see his house, know his job, or see what he was wearing to know that he was rich. He didn't have that snobby rich vibe around him, rather an aura which screamed power.

It was intimidating yet intriguing.

But most of all, it felt dangerous.

"I hope you were able to settle down alright", he says, taking his eyes off of me and opening the top draw of his desk, taking out a file containing a few pieces of paper.

"There's a few things I have to get you to sign first and then we can get you started", he said, his deep voice making goosebumps erupt across my skin.

I gave a timid nod, not daring to look up and hesitantly reached out for the folder.

I read through the pages, mostly checking there weren't any errors and then signed where needed.

Most of the details of my contract and job role had been discussed before so I knew what I was here for.

I just hoped I was the right person for the job.

After re-reading it a final time, I made sure I had completed all the bits I had to, before handing him back the folder.

With an approving nod, he placed the folder back in the top drawer and stood up.

"Let's go", he said, leading me out of his office and to the hallway.

"It's cold outside, you better take your coats", Charles said, passing me my giant black puffer jacket and Matteo a black trench coat.

"Thank you", Matteo said, effortlessly putting on his coat and grabbing his car keys.

Charles nodded in response and did the same when I whispered a 'thank you' too.

Charles opened the front door and we both stepped out. I quickly followed him towards his car, my shorter legs finding it difficult to keep up with his longer ones.

Opening my door for me, I whispered a thank you and slid in, making sure to put my seatbelt on and place my backpack in my lap.

He got in shortly after and put his seatbelt on, starting the car and reversing out of the driveway.

I knew better than to ask where we were going.

All I knew was that wherever he was taking me, was a top secret location and the less people who knew where it was, the better.

It seemed as if he enjoyed driving in the quiet as the radio was off and all that could be heard was the faint noise of the engine.

After another ten minutes, he stopped the car in front of a tall glass building.

Before he could come around, I opened the door myself and quickly got out of the car, putting my backpack straps on my shoulders.

He quietly told me to follow him and I did just that, noticing that he had slowed down his walking pace so I was able to walk alongside him.

The door was opened by someone inside and we both stepped in.

He gave a nod of acknowledgement to the staff at reception and turned the corner to the elevators.

"You'll need this", he said, passing me a black lanyard with a card attached to it.

He scanned his card and the elevator opened, revealing a gorgeous interior.

It was probably one of the quickest lift journeys I had taken; as soon as he pressed the button, we were practically there.

The elevator doors opened up to reveal a place that I could only describe as the room of my dreams.

There were various work stations with computers, laptops and every other tech device you could possibly imagine surrounding the room.

As soon as we had stepped out of the lift, the room went silent and everyone stood up to acknowledge Mr De Campo.

With a small nod, everyone sat back down and resumed what they were doing.

He began to walk and by the small head movement in my direction, I took that as a cue for me to follow him into what I assumed was his office.

It looked almost identical to the one which was in his home apart from the huge digital board which displayed information about the mission I was hired to work on.

Mr De Campo went round and sat in his chair and gestured for me to sit in one in front of his desk.

He clicked on something on his computer and a man entered the room not a second later.

Mr De Campo gave him a nod as a greeting and the man came over and sat on the chair next to me.

"This is Axel, he'll be assisting you on anything you need whilst your working on this case", Mr De Campo said, with a stern voice, saying it mainly to the man next to me.

Axel turned around and gave me a friendly smile which I returned, pulling my sleeve down in the process to stop me from scratching my wrist.

"I think it's time to tell you the exact reason why we need your help", Mr De Campo said.