9

'The art of eye contact

'The art of eye contact.'

After informing his men about the plan, we left the office and went back to Mr De Camp's house.

He hadn't said a word since we left and I could see how stressed he was by his tensed jaw and his death grip on the steering wheel.

As soon as we arrived, it seemed as if he was in a hurry to get inside.

He took his coat off and gave it to Charles, ready to head to his office until he stopped and turned around.

"Good work today, Mr Rossi", he said, before turning back around and walking off.

Dazzled at the praise, I quickly collected myself and ran up the stairs, excited to call my mamma and tell her the good news.

Reaching my room I got inside and shut the door, instantly collapsing onto my bed and pulling my phone out of my pocket.

"Ciao mio ragazzo coraggioso. Va tutto bene? (Hi my brave boy. Is everything ok?)", my mamma said on the other side of the phone.

"Everything's great, mamma! My hard work paid off and I finally found what I needed to help Mr De Campo!", I beamed, ecstatic to share the news.

"È fantastico! Sono così orgoglioso di te! (That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!)", she replied, already yelling for my papà to come down so she could tell him.

Suddenly I could hear a knock at my door and so I told my mamma I would call her back later and went to open the door.

"Is it time to leave Mr De Campo?", I asked, opening the door a bit wider so he could come in.

"I'm leaving, but you're staying here", he replied, tucking his gun into his waist band.

"E-Excuse me?", I asked in disbelief, not quite understanding what he was saying.

"I said that I'm leaving and you're staying here", he repeated with a stern voice.

I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say. I knew that I could help. I was more than just the computer guy. I've been training ever since I was a young boy and I know how to handle myself.

"I can help. I know how to use a gun and fight. My papà and brother taught me", I argued.

It was as if something in him had snapped as he came closer towards me like a hunter trying to attack its prey; each step he took forward, I took one back until my back hit the wall.

He towered over me, almost as if he was caging me in. All I could smell was him and I could feel his hard muscular chest against me. I could feel his hot breath near my ear as he leant in closer and whispered "I promised to keep you safe and I will do everything in my power to make sure I don't break that promise."

"Look at me", he said lowly and I lifted my head up.

For the first time, his dark eyes gazed into my blue and brown ones and I didn't feel weird or like a freak like I usually did when someone looked at my eyes, I felt warmth and that scared me. It felt raw and made me feel exposed. My palms were sweating and my breathing intensified.

My body felt as if it was on fire and we were so close I could feel his hair tickling against my forehead.

"I know you're brave and I believe you are strong enough to help, but you don't have to. I'm here and I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Gulping, I gave a strained nod and that seemed to satisfy him as he moved away and walked towards the door.

"Mr De Campo", I rushed out before he left, making him stop and turn his head slightly. "Please stay safe", I said quietly.

With a small smile, he nodded his head and left the room, leaving me alone with my worries.