Chapter eight

"How exactly are you going to explain being at prom with Daniel when you told Bill you didn't want to go?"

I cover my ears and allowed my eyes to roam around the different choices of  dresses in front of me, there was pink, blue, orange, red and they all looked stunning, I was at a loss for which one of them I wanted to go for.

"It's not just going to go away you know and Bill is definitely going to know you came to the dance" Eunice said again, this time she stood in front of me as she placed the orange dress on me.

"I know, I should probably text him and let him know I chose to go with someone else"

"Poor boy, his heart will be broken again; this orange dress  looks  fabulous on your skin tone"

"I really don't want to hurt him again" I pouted at her

"I know but prom is in four days, this weekend so you have to make up your mind."

"Ughhhh"

I bury my hands in my hands and hear my best friend giggle.

"It's okay, just be upfront about how you feel and tell him the truth. You cant have both."

"Yes, yes, I get that"

I say to her as I pick up my phone, it's a text from dad; he says he wants me to come home. He wants me to meet someone. I drive both Eunice and I home after making sure the person my dad wants me to meet isn't you know who. I just want to focus on prom, have fun with my friends and Daniel without worrying about anything. I'll make a decision pertaining to her later.

I drove into the compound and my dad is standing outside, clearly waiting for me and there's a woman with him. I run into his arms and he giggles.

"Hi princess" he says

"Hi dad, what's up? You aren't supposed to be here till Friday" I say to him as I waved to the woman standing next to him.

"Let's all go inside first. Come on E"

We all go inside and I serve everyone some orange juice. I take a good look at the woman with dad, she's blonde with a slender body, she has green eyes with a really beautiful smile. I watched as she interacted smoothly with my dad and best friend. I sat down next to Eunice with my own glass.

"So dad, what's this about?"

"I can leave if this is private" Eunice pipes up

"Not at all, E. you are family now."

My best friend grins and I chuckle as it looks as though her eyes were going to pop out of her head.

"Baby girl, this is Beth. We met on a business trip and we started going out a while ago."

"Hi Catherine, your dad has told me so many wonderful things about you" the woman called Beth said to me

I looked over at Eunice and she's practically almost jumping off her seat.

"Mr sanders, she's beautiful" Eunice gasps and practically hugs the woman

My dad looks at her then me, and we both burst out laughing.

"It's nice to meet you Beth " I extend a hand to her and she shook it

"I have decided to reduce my travels and have my business meetings here. I want to spend enough time with you baby girl and ease up after all of these years" my dad says, tears brimming at the corner of his eyes.

The one thing my dad has done ever since his failed marriage to my mum is bury himself in work and provide for me as much as he can. I looked at his face and saw a man tired,  ready to have the peace he deserved. I hug my dad and rub his back lovingly. He squeezed right back, chuckling as Eunice joined the hug too. Beth smiled at us and I could've sworn I saw a tear drop from her eye.

I left Eunice at the house as I had to meet Daniel at the other house, I drove there while listening to Justin Beiber's album. As I walked in the house, the smell of food hit me. My stomach grumbled aggressively.

"Hi chef" I said as I hugged him from behind.
His whole body shook with laughter, he turned around and pecked my forehead.

"Hi sugar" he said.

"What're you making?"

"Just spaghetti and meatballs"

"Wow, you definitely are full of surprises"

I say and hear a noise coming from upstairs. I walk towards the stairs then see daniels brothers, George and Fred. Battling each other down the stairs. George fell and sprawled out right in front of me.

"Hi" I say to them flashing a cheeky smile

"Fred, it's Dan's girlfriend "

"I see that" the other twin says

"She's pretty"

"I see that too"
They both stood in front of me, staring at me like they were starstruck.
I laughed heartily.

"Hey! Don't make her uncomfortable you two" Dan says to them, serving food for all four of us.

"Hi, I'm George"

"I'm Fred, the better looking twin" George elbows him in the tummy

"Nice to meet you too"

"Alright, let's eat"

The twins grab their plates and sit in front of the tv while Daniel and I ate in the kitchen.

"They're cute" I say to him, almost moaning as I took a spoonful of the food.

"Cute but trouble"

"This is delicious " I say to him, smacking my lips.

"Thanks" he says as he rubs my knee

I smile at his cute gesture.

"Took you awhile to get here" he said

"Oh dad wanted me to meet someone"

"Oh, who?"

"His girlfriend apparently, Beth"
I say and laugh at daniels shocked face.

"I know, I was surprised too but she seems genuine and he looks happy"

"Wow that's awesome"
His phone rang

"Be right back" he answers the phone as I hear him talk to his dad.

When he got back, I had finished my food and was texting Eunice. Daniel had this confused look on his face.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Your dad just offered to pay my tuition and my dad agreed. I'm going to college, I start next month"

I run into his arms screeching. The twins looked at us but didn't even bother as they went back to their food and tv.

"That's awesome news Dan "

"It is" he sits on one of the kitchen stools

"Hey, what's the problem"

"It's three hours from here, what about us?"

He says and the reality as to why he was like that dawned on me. Our relationship was on the line.

©️Aisha Adesuwa Akanbi