Chapter 2

"Thank you, Hayden." Kirin's shoulders relaxed.

          "Cass would make a great queen, she will rule well," Hayden said. He believed the words that he was saying were true.

           "That she will." Kirin looked back, at the map and became lost in her thoughts. Hayden remained quiet as well and waited for her to speak first.

           "When would you be ready to leave?" Kirin asked. She kept her eyes on the map while she spoke.

            "Draek and I could both use a day or two to rest, but after that, we will be ready," Hayden replied. He would rather head out as soon as possible, but he knew that it wasn't a good idea.

           "Hmm." Kirin scrunched her lips together. "You can have the remainder of today and tomorrow to rest. The groups will leave the following morning before the sun rises." Hayden nodded his head and turned to leave.

            "I feel that every time we meet I am asking you to leave on some dangerous quest." Kirin looked up from the map as she spoke.

            "We do what we must," Hayden replied. It was the only thing he could think of to say. He turned and made his way out of the map room and back into the throne room.

            Cass was standing in front of the throne, looking at the tree that was growing around the wooden chair.

           "Hayden," Cass said, hardly louder than a whisper.

           "Cassidy." Hayden acknowledged. He had not anticipated the hurt he felt when he saw her. Why did she not tell me what was going on? Hayden thought.

            She may have wanted to wait until they knew for sure that they were going to choose this path. Said Draek.

            "I take it that you have heard the plan?" Cass asked. She turned her head to face him.

             "Kirin just told me. Before you ask, I have agreed with it." Hayden saw the question forming on her lips before she gave voice to the words.

             "Everything?" She asked.

             "Everything," Hayden confirmed.

             "I am sorry Hayden. I wish that we could have spoken sooner but so much has happened over the last few days. Everything is different." Cass started to explain.

             "There is no need to apologize to me. I would expect the future ruler of the Metallic Nation to be busy." Hayden said mockingly. His anger had boiled over inside of him.

             "Don't Hayden. Please don't. The moment Shaylin had hatched for me we knew that I would one day take Elizabeth's place." Cass pleaded with Hayden.

            "That was before everything happened," Hayden complained. So much had changed over the last few days and Cass hadn't spoken more than a few words to him since the battle had finished. Hayden had thrown himself into his work while Cass had stayed locked away with Kirin, the elf elders, and the Sea Serpent captains.

           "What do want Hayden?" Cass shouted. "We are in a war now; we can't just run away and hide."

          "I know, but after all this is done I thought..." Hayden couldn't finish his words.

         "You thought what Hayden?" Cass pleaded. "What is it?"

          A loud thump caused them both to turn and find Shane walking through one of the side rooms, the door swinging closed behind him.