1: Teatime

"God, Eloise, slow down," her tall brother, who I came to know as Benedict, chuckled amusedly across from his sister. "Who raised you?" 

As Eloise patted her chin with a linen napkin where she had dribbled hot tea down her front, she replied quickly, "The same woman that raised you. I guess that makes us both beasts." 

"I'm right here," their mother, Violet chirped in, eyeing her children with a practiced glance. Violet returned her gaze to me, taking in what she could see with a tight smile. 

I can only imagine what she was thinking. Who was this scraggly girl before her? Even with the corseted sage green dress and pins in my auburn hair, I still looked like someone who blew in off the streets of deep London. In the midst of the glamour and elegant furnishings of the Bridgerton parlor, I had never looked more out of place. 

I felt like I was quickly losing my footing under the dainty slippers that I had crammed my feet into. "I'd like to thank you for having me, Lady Bridgerton," I managed to squeak out. 

She nodded curtly, "I can't say I had much to do in the matter. Eloise is a soul that marches to her own beat. I'm afraid I can't keep up with her comings and goings." Now turned to Eloise who was mocking Benedict's deep laugh, she asked her, "Where did you two meet?" 

The humor dropped from Eloise's face as she struggled to mumble a string of excuses. A perfectly crafted brow raised on Violet's face, and she was about to interject, until I found myself cutting the great Lady Bridgerton off. 

"The park," I butted in, inwardly groaning over my inability to, well frankly, shut up. "I was reading, and she approached me to ask about my book." 

"Yes!" Eloise chimed in, grateful for my quick excuse. I have no doubt that Violet wouldn't be too pleased to hear about her high society daughter grabbing a pint of beer in a shady pub. "The new Mary Shelley novel." 

"Frankenstein?" Benedict asked, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms. "A few years ago, I had to walk you about the house at night because you were afraid of the dark, and now you're reading horror?" 

Eloise grabbed a flakey sugar cube and tossed it at his chest where it burst on impact. He growled as he brushed on the granules. "Well, Benedict, it seems I've grown into quite the brave young lady." 

He huffed as he stood from the table, leaning down to kiss his mother's cheek. "Don't get too far ahead of yourself, Eloise. You still act like a child. It was a pleasure to meet you, Viola. You seem like quite the gentlewoman, so be wise and don't like Eloise drag you down to her childish antics." 

Benedict left with a smirk that carved his face with dimples and smile lines. The name of Bridgerton floated through London, even reaching the depths where I called home, but I knew little of Benedict. He seemed good natured and eager for a laugh. Despite their quarreling, the two siblings clearly had a bond that and understanding between one another. 

"Well, that was one of the famed Bridgerton bachelors," Elosie licked the crumbs of a pastry from her fingers, making an exaggerated pop with her thumb. "I'm sure the others will come sulking about if you stay with us." 

Wide eyed horror spread over Lady Bridgerton's face. She scrambled to regain composure and took a long, calculated sip of her tea before saying, "I don't plan on them remaining bachelors for long, Eloise. The season is almost upon us, and I intend on finding suitable matches for all my children. While my sights are set on them matching with women of rank, don't think I've forgotten our deal." 

Eloise mimicked her brother and kissed her mother on the cheek as well. "Ah, as if you'd let me forget it, dear mother. Come, Viola, let me show you the grounds." 

She pulled me from the table before I could manage to utter my rehearsed gratitude again. I may not be the most elegant lady in the room, but I had kept my hands in my lap, my ankles locked across each other, and my back tense with perfect posture. With the corset threatening to strangle me, I had to remind myself to breathe several times. 

Outside the balmy spring air that would soon give way to summer heat engulfed us. For the first time since I had come to the Bridgerton house, I didn't feel rigid with anxiety. After initially inviting me to tea, Eloise had returned to the pub the next day with a parcel that had the dress, stockings, and slippers I was now wearing. She blotted pink powder on my cheeks, brushed through my coarse hair, and pinned it to my scalp in a simple knot on top of my head. I looked the part of a young lady, simply joining a friend for tea. But at every turn I was reminded that I did not belong here. What Eloise saw in me; I did not know. 

"Please don't let my mother get to you. She's quick to bark about the standards, family obligations, and societal expectations that we are to adhere by, and of course, that extends to her precious sons." Eloise lazily strolled about the grass and plucked a fat leaf from a nearby bush, picking it into pieces. "I somehow managed to avoid her for the past few years, but it seems my time is up. Daphne is married off and bearing children, Anthony found his bride, and now it seems the great Lady Bridgerton wants to see all her elder children married by the end of the season so that we may commence copious amounts of baby making and grandchildren wielding." 

I smiled despite my nerves. "I don't take offense. If I were in her position, I'd be wary of the strange girl my daughter dragged home, too." 

"Yes, well. I'm allowed to have friends. Even if I find them on park benches reading horror novels," she winks before sighing. "I can't believe this is my last spring." 

"Surely it can't be that bad. Being a beautiful woman in high standing, and all you have to do is find a husband." 

Eloise gasps dramatically, clutching the leaf to her chest in a balled fist. "To find a husband is a fate worse than death, Viola. I cannot stomach the idea of signing away my freedom so I may procure grandchildren for my mother. With all my siblings she will eventually have enough. I don't know why she needs mine." 

"Having a family wouldn't be so terrible," I say, gathering about my unfamiliar dress and sitting in the dense grass. I had never seen grass so vibrant and full. My humble lodgings about the pub were surrounded by smog and brick buildings. 

"Trade places with me," she says suddenly. 

I laugh, "What do you mean?" 

"Well," Eloise begins, sitting beside me and taking my hands in hers. "I am to go into high society. I may be able to convince my mother that you are an upstanding woman of virtue, no offense-" 

"Why would I take offense to that? Am I not a woman of vir-" 

"Come now, Viola. I found you slogging beers in a pub with disgusting men drooling in their bar stools. You are not a lady, but I may be able to make you one. While we attend balls, soirees, teatimes, and picnics, any man that comes hounding for me will be directed to you. By the seasons end, my mother will simply think that I did not find a match and you will have your pick of suitors." 

"I don't - I can't," my stuttered excuses fell on deaf ears. Eloise's jaw was set in determination, and she was hellbent on pushing her fate onto me. Even with this incredulous suggestion, I had a hard time thinking of a valid excuse. What could I lose? Eloise was a woman with rank and could direct me into opportunities that otherwise would be impossible. If I have to lie for a summer, it would be a small price to pay for a chance to change my life. I could escape the soot of the city. I could finally get the stall stench of beer out of my skin. I'd never have to grit a smile in exchange for a meager tip from a man with hungry eyes. I could be a lady. 

"How will you convince your mother? She's already skeptical of me, thinking that I'm here for one of her sons." 

"Leave it to me, Viola. We are about to have a beautiful thing going on."