Chapter 36

I wake up to an annoying ringing sound. At first, I think it's part of my dream, but I slowly realize it's real. Irritatingly real. I groan and cover my head with my pillow to drown out the sound. I hear a chuckle to my right and freeze. A man chuckle. I remove the pillow from my face and am met with Pierre lying on his side to face me. My breath steadies again, remembering that he slept the night here to make me feel safer.
His hair is messy, but a good messy. I groan again.
"What time is it?" I ask. He checks his phone.
"It's 8:03." He responds.
"Ughhh. Why so early." I complain.
"Well, Olivia. It is race day." He reminds me. I sit up straight in bed.
"Oh my god, you're right." I jump out of bed and throw open the curtains to let in the morning light. Pierre squints, blinded by the sun.
"You said so yourself, get up!" I say, afraid that I will make him late. He chuckles and gets up. We go our separate ways to get dressed. I put on a red and black sundress with flowy sleeves. I pin back the front of my hair and put on chunky black boots.

Pierre and I regroup in the kitchen and I cook us some scrambled eggs.
"How did you sleep?" I ask. I really hope I wasn't snoring.
"Really well," he says between bites. "Your bed it really comfy." I chuckle.
"Yeah, it's memory foam so it's one of those that you kind of just sink in to." I tell him.
We finish breakfast and get ready to drive to the track. "Do you have everything?" I check.
"Well, the only things I came here with are what I'm wearing, so yes." He says.
"Oh yeah," I facepalm.
On our way out I grab my Carlos Sainz 55 cap that Carlos gave me after the whole thing with Charles, to hide my face from possible paparazzi.

We leave my apartment and get into Pierre's car. The drive is only about 15 minutes, so we get to Zandvoort at 9. This is quite early since the race doesn't start until 2, but Pierre tells me he has a lot of work to do to prepare.
We are some of the first people in the paddocks. It's nice and calm, and we are able to buy coffees without queueing. We sit on a bench in the sun for a while, just chatting. At around 9:30, Carlos and Lando enter the paddock. They must have shared a lift from their hotel or something. They have a very cute bromance. 'Carlando' people call it. They seem surprised by my presence.
"Olive, why are you here?" Says Lando as they walk over.
"Good morning to you too." I joke. "I drove in with Pierre." I explain. They 'ahh', pretending to understand. I can tell they want to ask why, but they respect my privacy and don't.
"So which garage are you going to watch the race from? Ferrari, Mclaren or AlphaTauri?" Asks Carlos. This is the question I've been avoiding myself. I genuinely don't know. I can pretty much rule out AlphaTauri because I haven't actually been invited, but it's still between the other two.
"You're more than welcome in AlphaTauri," chimes in Pierre. Never mind then, back to choosing between three of them. I look between Pierre, Lando and Carlos.
"Ehmm, maybe I will just watch it from the paddock club." I suggest. "I'm not really sure." All three of them look somewhat disappointed, but I don't want to choose one, so I saw my way out and took it.
"But why watch it with all the normies rather than watch it in the literal garage?" Asks Lando.
"Because, that way I can cheer for all of you without getting death stares from mechanics." I tell them. Lando shrugs as if this is not a satisfactory answer. I roll my eyes at him.
"I like your dress." Says Carlos suddenly. "Red and black, for Ferrari." I smile at his compliment.
"Whatever you want to believe," I wink at him.
"Anyways, I have to get to my motorhome to meet with Enrique." Announces Pierre. Enrique is his performance coach, I think. Lando and Carlos say the same, and we all say goodbye.
"Good luck today, guys. All three of you. I hope I'm looking at today's podium." I beam. They each hug me and walk off in their own directions.

I head towards the paddock club. I've never been in it before, so I'm curious as to see what it entails.
I show my pass to a security guard who looks as though he's just woken up, and enter a large glass building. On the bottom floor is the bathrooms and a cloak room for coats, which I doubt will be used because it's currently May. I walk up the stairs and an met with a display of comfortable looking couches, surrounded my massive screens on the walls. Outside there's a massive balcony that looks down onto the race track. The first turn, I think. There's a bar and DJ booth too. I can't believe I haven't come here before, this place is amazing.
I can't wait until it gets busier, the atmosphere will be so great. For now, I just sit down on an outdoor couch and take in the early morning sun.