Part Fifteen

Part Fifteen

I value decent sleep just a little bit more than the slim possibility of dreaming about him. There's nothing quite like waking up with a normal heart rate, even breathing and a deliciously warm body. I feel well rested, stretching under the covers, my hands smacking the wall above my head doesn't even put a damper on the good mood I'm basking in.

I slide out of bed, grabbing some clothes to wear for the day and head to the bathroom. I use the toilet, shower, and get dressed. I stare at my reflection as I brush my hair slowly, stroking small parts as I analysis myself.

I look like me, but I don't. There's a strangeness staring back at me in the mirror. Nothing looks different physically. My hair is still sandy blonde, perhaps longer than I realised, my eyes are still the same dull green colour I share with the rest of my family. My favourite feature, my nose, still looks as cute as a button.

I press my finger on the tip of my nose, pushing it before letting my finger slide down my lips and off my face. My nose springs back into place immediately.

Nothing looks different but I feel different. I drop the brush onto the counter and turn my head to the side. In my dreams, and my drawings, the mermaid I drew had gills on the side of her neck. So did the guy.

I run my fingers over my neck, but nothing feels out of place, just soft warm skin from my shower. The longer I sit with the knowledge that I could be a mermaid the more it feels right. It completes the puzzle in my head I'm so desperately trying to finish. The only thing I'm lacking is the physical evidence of being a mermaid. I don't have a tail; I can't breathe underwater.

You can see underwater perfectly.

I almost forgot about that; I can see under the water. It's not humanly possible to have your eyes open in salt water for as long as I have, and without any repercussions. I should test some theories today, try to figure this out in the ocean. I look over at the window, looking over the backyard with ocean in the far distance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I know the ocean knows something. It sounds ridiculous, even in my head, but it makes sense.

I shake my head, putting my brush in the drawer and leave the bathroom. In the kitchen nana is hanging around the coffee machine waiting for it to do its job. Jack and Alex sit at the kitchen table eating their breakfast, but my parents are nowhere to be seen. The time on the wall clock reads seven, they don't normally leave for work this early unless they have an early booking. They usually tell us though.

"Morning." I greet the room, opening the fridge.

Nana appears beside me, putting the milk back in the door of the fridge smiling at me. "Morning."

"Hey." Jack greets.

I wait for Alex to speak but he doesn't. I lift my head and look over at him, he's staring at me with a disappointed look. I frown, unsure what I've done to receive that look. I think back over our recent interactions, I've mostly been teasing him about his mysterious date.

I grab the bread and butter from the fridge and make myself some toast for breakfast. I ignore Alex's disapproving look and focus on nana instead. "How much work do we have to do before the markets?" I ask.

She raises a brow. "I'm pretty much up to date. You want to help today? We could start working on back up inventory."

I nod. "Sounds like a plan."

I eat my toast in the kitchen with nana instead of joining my brothers at the dining table. Alex is still casting disappointing looks my direction every so often. He doesn't say anything though, not until Jack leaves for work anyway. Nana happens to leave me alone with him as well, telling me she's off to get started and that she'll see me soon.