The Spy of the Shadowsinger

Prompt: You are one of Azriel's spies, and he sends you on a mission at the Spring Court, but things won't happen in the way you expected.

•   •   •

I was holding my breath, the only sound I heard was the wind as I was hiding under the bridge, but all the silence of the world wasn't enough, because seconds later a male held me from behind and pointed his dagger at my neck. 

"I won," he whispered next to my ear.

If we weren't training, I would be dead now. If the male holding me wasn't my friend, my neck wouldn't be holding my head anymore.

He stopped holding me and placed his dagger back under his jacket. A deadly assassin. "How did you know I was here?" I asked.

"It's snowing, but not enough to clean your steps."

A stupid mistake, no wonder the Illyrians underestimated me. I wished I could be good like the others.

"You are new here, y/n. You will get better." It was like he heard what I was thinking. "You are already way better than me when I arrived."

Just like me, he wasn't from the Night Court, and we weren't Illyrians, but after years of training and working for Azriel, he started being respected here. Unlike me.

 "I hope you are right."

I was about to thank him for motivating me, but another spy arrived, and he didn't look happy when he said Azriel wanted to see me. Shit, he probably wanted to send me away and find a better spy, the Shadowsinger didn't tolerate anything less than the best spies to work for him, and I wasn't one of them.

•   •   •

I didn't expect to be called to meet with Azriel at the House of Wind. When I arrived, the Shadowsinger, my master, was talking to the High Lord of the Night Court, Rhysand. 

"You arrived, we were waiting for you to join us," Azriel said, and my entire body froze. He was going to send me away, he called me here to tell me I wasn't enough.

I bowed to Rhysand and joined them, even the High Lord would know how useless I was. "May I ask why did you call me, master Azriel?" I said, and my voice was shaky.

"Yes, I have a mission for you."

I blinked two. Three times. "A... mission?"

Azriel nodded, but it was the High Lord who answered, "I believe you know that our relationship with the Spring Court is not at its best moment, I was trying to relax the tension between us, but..." he searched for the right words. "They kidnapped a female from our court."

Cowards, monsters.

"Your mission is to rescue her," Azriel completed.

It was a joke, it had to be. "Forgive me, master, but isn't it better to send someone with more... experience?"

"You won't go alone, but I need you to be the one leading this mission, and if you need help, the others will be there," The Shadowsinger said.

I still didn't understand, and Rhysand noticed, because he continued, "You will act like a traveler, you are not Illyrian so it will be easier for them to believe, you can tell them you came from the Winter Court and you are looking for a new home, the Spring Court is always open to new people, you won't have problems to enter."

But I would have problems leaving if I wasn't careful, that was the part he didn't need to add.

•   •   •