Chapter 3

“Do they bother you?”

Chloe’s expression was bemused as Lucifer’s finger traced absently over the silver scars on her belly. She didn’t particularly care if they did; she was proud of them. They were there from where she’d carried and birthed Trixie, the person she loved most in this world, and they reminded her of that.

She was just… curious.

He surrounded himself with lavish suits, and expensive whiskey, and leggy models… she wondered if he’d ever shared his bed with a single Mom. A woman past thirty, with stretch marks, and a few grey hairs. A woman who was more likely to hit up Chuck E Cheese for a kid’s birthday party than a fancy nightclub.

An incredulous scoff rolled from his chest.

“Of course not,” he murmured, finger still circling the raised skin, “but why should it matter what I think?”

Chloe considered it for a moment. He was unapologetically, unashamedly himself. He didn’t expect her to change for him any more than he wouldn’t change for her.

Besides, she didn’t invite him here, into her life and into her bed, to think. To pass judgement. She invited him for sex… and occasionally, for legal advice.

That was all.

“It shouldn’t,” she said, “because you’re not my boyfriend.”

He shook his head, looking displeased.

“That’s not why.”

“Why then?”

"You like them?” he asked, “you’re proud of them?”

She nodded.

“Well then. That’s all that matters.”

She looked at him, trying to work him out. Sometimes he spoke like he was delivering a sermon, using flowery language designed to tempt and persuade. He spoke like a lawyer. Other times, he spoke like everything in the world was so simple.

Lucifer Morningstar was a walking enigma she was desperate to solve.

And then, there were these… glimpses. Beneath the well-cut suit, and playful eyes, and seductive voice, there were glimpses of someone real.

“Why you wanted a horrible, snotty brat, however… is beyond me. Was she a mistake?”

And he always ruined it.

“No, Lucifer. Trixie was not a mistake.”

He blinked at her as though he didn’t understand.

“You mean, you chose to procreate with Daniel? Bumbling, pudding-eating, meathead Daniel.” 

Chloe huffed, fighting the urge to throw a pillow at him.

“He wasn’t always so bad.”

Lucifer rolled his eyes and settled back on the sheets. He extended his arms behind his head and rested on them. It made his body look even longer, strong muscles flexing under his skin. There was still a light sheen of sweat on his chest from their earlier activities, the sheet pooling around his waist.

Chloe flushed a little.

She didn’t just disappear as soon as the deed was done anymore. Wrapped up in either his ludicrously expensive gold sheets, or her plain cotton ones, they had started to talk. He always talked more than she did. Half of what he said was ridiculous, and the other half was downright illegal, and she couldn’t stop listening.

“You’ll have to say he’s very bad in court,” he remarked casually, his eyes slipping shut.

Chloe thought about that. She remembered what Charlotte had said before—and she thought about her response.