Chapter 5

Finally the court case in this chapter, exciting!
Sorry I'm not good with court stuff this was based on some TV series I have watched and have had a court case in it lol sorry for the inaccuracies

Light streamed in through the high glass windows, the morning sun bathing the penthouse in warmth. 

Chloe shifted in the bed, wincing against the light. She glanced behind her to see Lucifer still asleep. A strange stirring started in the pit of her stomach, spreading like wildfire through her veins. His arm was slung over her waist, his chest against her back. She swallowed, worrying her bottom lip between her teeth.

This wasn’t exactly staying away from each other. It wasn’t exactly setting boundaries. As a rule, friends with benefits—or enemies with benefits—didn’t stay the night. They didn’t snuggle.

But deep down, Chloe knew… he wasn’t her enemy. He hadn’t been since he dropped Dan’s case, and dropped to his knees for her. He had worked with her, had given her his advice, and she knew, without a shadow of a doubt, he wanted her to win the case.

Whatever this was between them, burning so bright, whatever made it so hard to walk away from… it wasn’t rooted in hate. It was something else entirely.

With the alcohol she had drank, and the cigarette smoke she had practically inhaled from his lips, her mouth felt like an ashtray. She swallowed past it and suddenly felt self-conscious. She glanced behind her shoulder again and took a moment to look at him.

He looked different when he was asleep. Peaceful. He was always alert, his mind sharp and cunning, running a mile a minute. It was nice to see him like this, finally switched off, finally at rest. She wondered if he dreamed, and if he did, what he dreamed about. She wondered if he dreamed about work, or the siblings he didn’t seem to like, or the parents who abandoned him. She wondered if he ever dreamed about her.

She tore her eyes away from him and carefully lifted his arm from her body. She winced as he shifted, a hum rolling from his chest. She checked he was still asleep, and when she saw that he was, she slipped out of bed. She tiptoed to his ridiculous en-suite and glanced in the mirror.

Her cheeks were flushed, her hair a mess. One of his white shirts dwarfed her, the sleeves brushing her fingertips and the hem falling to mid-thigh. She wore nothing underneath. She knew if she were to venture down to the club, or step outside, everyone would immediately know that she had been fucked—and fucked well—all night. More than that, even though the impending court case made her anxious, in this moment, she looked happy. Calm.

She sighed, trying to push down how confusing this all was. She had tried to walk away, and she couldn’t, so there was no point dwelling on it. She might as well just hold on and enjoy the ride, pun intended.

Her nose scrunched as she tasted her mouth again. She lifted onto her tiptoes slightly to open one of his cabinets, not feeling guilty in the slightest for snooping. After-all, she still remembered the salacious, annoying grin he threw her that day he nosily rifled through her underwear drawer before she slapped his hand away.

It had been a long shot, but she found what she was looking for anyway—a toothbrush still in its packaging. She ripped it open, discarded the packet, and shoved it in her mouth. She brushed her teeth, swiped some flakes of dried mascara from under her eyes, and fought the urge to do her makeup all over again. He would definitely notice… and he would definitely tease her about it.

She liked it when he teased her. She liked it when he lifted her mood with one of his jokes, or one of his surprisingly thoughtful gestures. She liked it when he spoke passionately about the law, and even when he talked in those silly metaphors—because being absurd didn’t make them any less interesting.