The News - Week 7

I took a deep breath as I opened the door. Both mine and Yuuji's parents walked in and I lead them into the main room.

"You two said you needed to talk?" My mom asked.

I nodded.

"Well, go on dear. We're ready whenever you are." Terushima's mom said sweetly.

"Well, we're sort of... having a baby," I explained hesitantly.

Both of their jaws dropped at the news. I took a deep, shaky breath. All I could do was hope that they'd accept it.

"Oh, (Y/N), that's wonderful! Congratulations on the pregnancy!" My mom exclaimed.

I smiled. "Thanks."

"When's the baby due?" Terushima's mom asked.

"We still have a long way to go. I'm only seven weeks into the pregnancy," I answered.

I looked at Yuuji, who sat by my side during this whole conversation in case something went wrong. He had a big smile on his face and looked even more proud to be a father now that we know our parents are happy about it.

"I still can't believe this. You're having a baby! When did you first... you know?" Terushima's mom stuttered to find her words.

"It actually started at our wedding reception," Yuuji explained, "after we were officially married, we decided to take it a step further. Of course, (Y/N)'s pregnancy wasn't planned, but ready for it or not, we couldn't be any happier."

"Well, I'm happy for you two," Terushima's mom said, "I'm just a little bit surprised."

"Yeah, me too" my mom confessed, "I didn't think that you were ready for kids."

"We didn't, either," I admitted, "it's been a surprise to all of us."

"You're going to make such wonderful parents!" Terushima's mom exclaimed.

I smiled as tears of joy filled my eyes. "Thanks mom."

"So, how did this happen?" Terushima's mom wondered.

"Well, as I was saying . . ." Yuuji began. But I cut him off.

"You don't have to-"

"It's alright, dear, we're family now and I want to know." His mom insisted.

"Well," I took a deep breath, "I got drunk after we got married and we kind of forgot to use protection..."

"You mean, you didn't use a condom?"

"No."

"You didn't?"

"No, I thought I was protected. It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing. I mean, we didn't plan it and it just . . . happened."

"Well, I'm glad you two are taking the safe route. And the father of your child is so protective." My mom joked.

"Yeah, I know, thanks mom," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"I'm sorry dear, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I want you to know that I am so happy for you and Yuuji. You're both going to be great parents." She apologized.

"Thanks, mom," I smiled as I wiped away my tears.

"I've never seen you cry before." My mom admitted, sounding surprised.

"I know, I'm sorry."

"It's okay, crying is good."

I laughed. "I know."

"So, what are you going to do now?" Terushima's mom questioned.

"Yuuji and I are going to our first appointment in a few days," I informed.

"Well, we'll go with you." They agreed.

I smiled. "Thank you."

"No problem, it's the least we can do for such wonderful news."

And I realized they were right. It really was the least they could do. I was glad that they accepted me and my decision for what it was. But at the same time, I wished my mom hadn't said we were going to be great parents. I mean, of course, we were going to be great parents. Who wouldn't be great parents? But I wanted to bring a child into the world, not my mom. I wanted to be the one to teach that child about the world, not my mom. I wanted to be the one to be with my child every step of the way, not my mom. I wanted to hold my baby in my arms as soon as it was born. I wanted so many things.

I guess this is what growing up feels like. I'd never really thought about it until now, but maybe it's not so bad. I'll just have to deal with the growing pains as they come.

After our parents left, I leaned over and gave Yuuji a quick peck on the cheek.

"Thanks for marrying me," I whispered

"You're welcome, Baby Doll," he whispered back. "I'm glad you're my wife."

"Me too."

Our parents left a few moments later, leaving us alone in our apartment. I guess I was lucky. I had an amazing mom and a loving, supportive husband. But most importantly, we had each other. I wouldn't change anything about my life.

But I had to admit, I was scared. I mean, what if I didn't like my child when it was born? What if I couldn't be a good parent? What if I got sick and left my child behind?

I shook my head. There would be no ifs, ands, or buts. I was going to be a great parent, and I was going to love my child with every fiber of my being. I would be the best parent in the world.

I had Yuuji, and we had each other. I was going to be a mom. I was a mom. And I was going to be the best mom in the world.

I smiled as I glanced at my husband. He smiled back and squeezed my hand.

"So, what do you think?" He asked.

"I think I'm in love."

"Good answer."

I smiled and bit my lip. "I'm nervous."

"I know. I still want you to say something, even if you're nervous."

"Okay."

"You know I want to be your child's father, right?"

I nodded.

"And you know that I want to be part of your child's life, right?"

"Yeah."

"And you know that no matter what, I'm going to be there for you and our child, right?"

"Yeah."

"So what is it that you don't know?"

I hesitated. "I don't know if we will be great parents," I confessed, "I've never done this before what if I do something wrong? What if-"

"Hey," he spoke softly, "don't worry about it so much, Baby Doll. We can learn together.

"I don't know if I can do this."

"You can."

"I'm really nervous."

"I know."

"I don't want to mess up."

"I know."

"But I'm going to anyway."

"It's going to be okay."

"I hope so."

"I know so." He pulled me close, letting me lay my head on his chest while he gently caressed my back. "It's going to be fine."

And it was. Everything was going to be fine. I had the best husband in the world. I had the best parents in the world. And I had a great future. I couldn't ask for anything more.