The First Appointment - Week 8

I sat in the waiting room, my anxiety becoming worse by the second.

"(Y/N) Terushima," a nurse called out, "You can come to the back now, follow me, please."

I let out a sigh of relief as Yuuji and I followed the nurse to the back room. The nurse told me where to sit-while Yuuji sat in a chair on the other side of the room-and began the appointment by asking a few questions. After a moment she did a quick ultrasound and left the room to go get the doctor.

"So," the doctor said, after a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I answered. "A little tired."

"Any nausea?"

"No. Only morning sickness."

"Any signs of complications?"

"No."

"How far along are you, (Y/N)?"

"Eight weeks." I repeated.

"Do you experience any pain when urinating, (Y/N)?"

"No."

"Any blurred vision?"

"No."

"Any headaches?"

"Any hearing loss?"

"No."

"Any tingling in your feet? Any trouble walking?"

"No."

"Any itching?"

"No."

"Well, I guess that's all the basic information I need," the doctor said, reaching for the door. "You can get dressed now."

I hurried to get dressed, anxious to get home and take a shower.

We walked out of the doctor's office hand-in-hand, and got into his car. As we drove, we talked about our plans for the future.

"I can't believe you did that!" I cried. "You got me pregnant!"

"Yeah, but you wanted it to happen!"

"I know, but still!"

"Relax, we'll have a great kid," he said. "At least we waited until after we got married."

I smiled. "I'll be the best mom in the world."

"You already are."

I smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too."

We got to the apartment complex, got out of the car, and walked through the front door.

"Well, here it is," Yuuji said. "Home sweet home."

"I can't believe it."

"Me either," he said. "But it's here, and that's what matters."

"Yeah."

We walked inside.

"I'll be in the bedroom, (Y/N)," he said. "Just call if you need anything."

"Okay," I said. "Thanks."

He went into the bedroom, and I went to the kitchen. I sat down at the kitchen table and breathed a sigh of relief. Now we just had to survive the next few months. Maybe if I made enough money, I could get a nicer place somewhere. A house would be great. Or maybe a condo somewhere. A one-bedroom would have to do for now. I'd just have to make sure to budget well. I opened the refrigerator and stared inside. I got a carton of milk, a six-pack of coke, and a plain, chocolate yogurt. I looked at the contents of my fridge and frowned.

Maybe I could afford to do more groceries. Maybe I could afford to get a job. Maybe I could afford to do more housework. I shook my head. No. I had to focus on this pregnancy. I'd have to spend all my money on doctor's visits and baby supplies. I just had to hope that everything would go smoothly. I finished my yogurt, put the container in the trash, and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.

I got undressed and got in the shower, turning on the hot water and letting it run over my body. I scrubbed myself for awhile, trying to ignore the aches and pains of pregnancy. After a few minutes, I turned off the shower, got dressed, and brushed my teeth.

As I sat on the bed, I felt dizzy. I sat down for a second to try to shake off the dizziness. The dizziness wouldn't go away, and I finally had to get off the bed and sit on the floor.

"Are you okay?" Yuuji wondered, coming through the door.

"Yeah," I said, "I'm just a little dizzy. I'll be okay."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I said, "I'll be fine."

"Okay." He came over to me and sat down next to me. "I'll get you some water."

He handed me a bottle of water, and I took a couple of sips.

"Better?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." He got up and walked away. I closed my eyes and tried to relax.

I'd just have to be extra careful. I'd have to be extra healthy. I'd have to be extra responsible. I'd have to be extra loving. I'd have to be extra everything. I was sure I could do it. I'd have to.

I sat up and looked at my watch. "Hey, it's almost one o'clock," I said. "I've been here forever."

"Yeah," he said, walking into the room again. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Okay."

While Yuuji showered, I thought about the things that needed to be done. I'd have to find a job. I'd have to work really hard. I'd have to provide for this baby. I'd have to be supermom. I'd have to. I'd have to. I got up and stretched. I couldn't believe it was almost one o'clock. I'd been sitting here for almost two hours. I got up and walked over to the mirror. Yuuji came out of the bathroom, wrapped in a towel.

"You look great," he said, getting dressed and coming up behind me, kissing me on the cheek.

"Thanks," I said, "You too."

I turned around and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He looked so handsome. I smiled. He smiled. We smiled at each other. We got even more serious. We got even closer. I could feel it. The closeness. The warmth. The love.

I leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the lips. He leaned in and gave me a peck on the lips, too. We kissed. Long and deep and sweet. I felt like I was melting. And then we broke apart, and I smiled.

I looked in the mirror one last time. I turned around and faced him. I felt . . . Love. Joy. Passion. . . . Happiness. I felt love for him. I felt joy for him. I felt passion for him. I felt all those things. And I saw all those things in his eyes, too.

I grabbed his hands. "We can do this. We can make this work."

He nodded. "Yeah. We can."

"We can make this work," I said again.

"Yes," he said. "Yes, we can."