Chapter 12 ''Ship of terror''

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."
John Green

The days Josephine spent with Ivar felt like a dream

The days Josephine spent with Ivar felt like a dream. He was teaching her archery and axe-throwing. Even though the young man was only using his crutches, she knew he was muscular and quite mobile.

It was a beautiful morning, considering the freezing and heavy snowfall. Josephine was sitting in front of a fireplace, drinking ale, and staring into the flames.

She missed modern times, where she could spend a day like that at home, under the covers with a book and hot chocolate. These days are sadly long gone, and some higher power wanted her in the Vikng era. Slowly making her fall in love with the most dangerous Viking that ever walked the earth. According to history books, that's it.

There was a small knock on the door, and Josephine rose from her seat and walked to open it.

She smiled at seeing her friend, Hvitserek.

''Good afternoon, beautiful lady. Fancy a walk?''

''Since when do you speak like a Frankish lord?''

''I got bored and asked some knights to give me some lessons in court manners in the Christian world.''

''You are unbelievable. I will fancy a walk with you, my lord.''

''Good answer then.''

Kattegat was busy for a cold morning, but these were Vikings; you could not just expect them to stop working in the winter.

Hvitserek was quiet all the time; he only spoke when they approached the walls protecting the city.

''Josephine, did you ever hear of Buddha?''

The girls eyes got bigger at the mention of him.

''I did; why are you asking?''

''I was enlightened a couple of days ago, and I knew I could trust you with this.''

''Hvitserek, have you eaten some herbs in the woods? You shouldn't be eating something unknown to you.''

''Josephine I'm serious, I...''

''Here you are. I was looking everywhere for you, princess.''

Ivar's voice was interrupted. Hvitserek and his two brothers were looking at each other suspiciously.

''My king, my prince, my apologies, but I must go back to my chamber; it's been a long morning and I haven't eaten anything yet.''

''Princess, may I join you for breakfast?''

''Of course, your majesty. I'll wait for you in my chamber. Have a lovely day, my prince.''

When she walked away, Ivar spit under Hvitserek's feet.

''Josephine is my so-be careful brother.''

''I wonder how long it will take for her to see that you are out of your mind. That god didn't bless you with legs but a weak cock.''

''Be careful who you speak to or of what. Walls have ears, and trees have eyes.''

With that, he walked away, leaving his brother standing under a massive oak.

***

When they broke fast together, Ivar asked Josephine to join him on a horseride; of course, he was using his carriage.

''I would be delighted, my lord.''

One plus of living with Vikings was the fact that she could ride a horse the men way, not female, which, as a matter of fact, was more comfortable.

Ivar took her to the beach. The waves are a sign of winter and upcoming dangers. Few ships were seen from a distance.

''Slaves ships. Straight from Denmark.''

Ivar explained when she asked why he wasn't concerned.

''My lady, I invited you here to ask about something. As you noticed, my power is the only thing that people respect. I grew up mocked for my lack of working legs; people called me a shame, and God paid a joke on my father for killing so many saxons. Thus, I agreed with them for a long time. No woman looked at me with desire, nor did any single one of them want to speak to me. I buried myself in studies; travelling Christian presidencies were teaching me how to read, the only thing my mother allowed them to do. However, you appeared. You didn't see a single mockery in your eyes. Not pity, but admiration, whenever we talk about gods, politics, wars, and trade. I know there's a lot of difference between us, and I probably won't give you a child, as every woman does, but will you give me the pleasure of being your husband?''

With that, he presented to her the most beautiful hairpin she had ever seen. Rose-shaped, filled with rubies, and finished with gold. Something she has seen in museums.

''Ivar I....''

''I knew it, if you...''

''Let me finish. I was fascinated by you the moment I laid my eyes on you. Religion, my family, everything be damned. I want to marry you. I don't care about the children. Fuck it, I never wanted them.''

She kissed him, and he kissed her back. That was the love she felt for the first time. Josephine came to this place.