05

I put my last touches of makeup, I've gotten better at figuring out what works to cover my bruises and what doesn't

I put my last touches of makeup, I've gotten better at figuring out what works to cover my bruises and what doesn't. My phone lights up with a text from Everette.

Cupcake:
I'm outside, take your time.

Me:
i'm coming.
7:45 am
*read*

"Come on Lilly" I yell heading down the stairs. Derek already left thankfully so I'm free to speak as loudly as I want. I hear her little footsteps run down the stairs. I check her backpack making sure she has everything before grabbing my keys and leaving.

I watch her run down the driveway to Everette's car. He's holding the backseat door open for her. I walk up to them watching him as he helps her into the car.

He turns to me and opens my door, "what happened to your wrist?" He holds the door open waiting for my answer.

"I was playing with Lilly and hurt my wrist, I wrapped it with an elastic bandage" I replied calmly. Lilly already knew my cover-up story so I didn't have to worry about her saying anything.

He nods and finally lets go of my door, allowing me to close it. "Do you need to go to the doctor, it could be seriously hurt" he asks pulling out of my driveway.

"I'm fine," I sigh. I hate that I'm lying to him but I can't put him in danger. Nobody deserves to feel constantly in fear for their life. If I keep hanging out with him I'm putting him in danger. Derek saw him once and already threatened his life.

This isn't fair to him.

"Um, hello?" Everette says bringing me back to my senses. I look away from the window, "I asked if you need me to come in with you." I should tell him, not now but soon. If we go to the police we'll be safe and they can help. I would have to tell my mom first though. Fuck.

"No, thank you it's okay." I get out of the car and open the backseat door. I lift Lilly out of the car with ease holding her in my arms while we walk into the building.

I walk into the main office to see a middle-aged woman sitting, typing something on the computer. "Excuse me, is there anyone I can talk to about an incident that happened with Liliana?" The lady looks at me from over her glasses, I can feel her judgment radiating off of me.

Finally, she smiles and stands up, "you can speak to the principal, follow me." She leads us around the corner to an office that says 'Principal' on it.

"Good luck" the lady gives me a quick pat on the shoulder.

I knock on the door hearing a muffled "come in" before opening the door. I'm greeted by an older man sitting in one of those spinning chairs.