Chapter 1: Not Alone?

One year later

A year flew by and Christiaan seemed a promising student as he learned all the etiquette, rules, and discipline to perform his duty. In the first weeks, he was a clumsy mess. He tried to learn everything he had to help Elsa with anything in the future. Most things were boring, especially for someone young. Elsa found it amusing and laughed at him at times, but encouraged him nonetheless to excel at his studies.

Anna was equally encouraging, but more to help in creating a ruckus or to convince him to play something. He wasn't sure where Anna got all her energy from, but her radiant personality was a welcome one. After a year Chris found himself more comfortable and welcomed by the royal family. Even at a young age, he started to do small things mainly in preparing himself for what he had to do later on.

Chris walked through the halls with breakfast. The King and Queen were away on business in the neighboring Kingdom. Therefore, the head of the Household charged him with bringing breakfast to the two princesses. They share a room, so it was convenient to bring it to them. As the King and Queen were away there was no need for them to come down to the dining room. He balanced the trays on his hands and managed to knock on the door.

"Come in," Elsa calls out. Chris opened the door and walked in. He smiles as he sees Anna still in bed drooling on her pillow. Elsa is awake and sat upright in her bed. It is clear as to who the most proper lady is.

"Elsa, good morning. I have your breakfast and Anna's if she is awake," Chris says.

"I am awake!" Anna says while not moving an inch and her eyes are closed.

"As usual... Here you are, Elsa. I have the tea you like the most," Chris says as he puts it on the nightstand.

"It is Your Highness, Chris. They will not tolerate any mistakes on your final test," Elsa says with a smile as she sat closer to her breakfast. "Thank you for the breakfast and the tea, Chris."

"Luckily, I am talking to my friends. And the test is still some years away. Anna! Wake up!" Chris says as he stood waiting for her.

"Yes! I am awake," she says as she emerged from her blanket. Still not awake by any measure, aside from sitting upright.

"If you don't wake up, I have to eat these krumkakes myself..." Chris says through a dramatic sigh walking away very slowly. Elsa chuckles softly as she watches from the other side of the room.

"I am awake! Give me krumkakes!" Anna says, fully awake now. Eagerly reaching for her breakfast. Chris rolls his eyes as he hands her tray over. Elsa shakes her head as she continues to eat.

"So, any plans for today?" Chris asked as he parted the curtains to let the sun in.

"Papa and mama are not here so we can play all day! What do you say?" Anna says as she swung her knife and fork as her hands showed her enthusiasm.

"Be careful with the knife and fork, Anna. You're prone to knocking things over," Chris says as he walked over to her again.

"I am not that clumsy," Anna says as she again swung her fork around to point it at Chris who stood unamused in front of her. This time it touched her glass with tea, making it spill out of it. By instinct, Chris reaches for it to prevent the glass from falling and breaking. He caught it, but not only the glass. The hot water floated in the air, steam rising from it.

"That... is so cool!" Anna yells with enthusiasm and excitement, "You're like Elsa! But with water!"

"Uhm," Chris looked at the floating tea as he tries to control it. Hand slowly and carefully guiding the water back. Making slowly go back into the cup. And it did, and soon it was again in the cup. Anna clapped with joy while Elsa looked with wide eyes and a smile. For the first time, someone knows. For the first time, some knows the feeling of what she has raging inside her.

"That's... new. Never thought I had something like this in me," he says as he looked at his hands in confusion.

"We should let pappa and mama know!" Anna says as she dragged Chris with her. Chris pleaded with his eyes in the hope that Elsa would calm Anna down, but she only smiles as she waved him away. Anna forgot about the trip of their parents in her enthusiasm.

A small part of her was happy that Chris was special. That they shared a common power or at least a similar power. It brought her some peace to know that someone will be there to explore this. Even if she barely understood this curse or blessing or whatever it may be. Elsa placed the tray back on the nightstand as she waited patiently near the door for Anna to return. A few minutes passed before she saw Anna walking back smiling sheepishly as she scratched the back of her head.

"Forgot they weren't home..." Anna says with a chuckle.

"I knew you'd remember, eventually. It seems we're in the same boat."

"Well, I am glad to have an expert. I will help you as well, Elsa. Don't be afraid to ask me if you need my help, alright?"

"Isn't that your job?" Elsa asked with a raised eyebrow and a lopsided smile.

"Oh, right. Well, then don't hesitate on calling on me! I am here to serve, after all."

"Someone better keep up with his studies," Elsa says, "Wouldn't want to fail your test and be sent away, do you?"

"I- You're right! Sorry, Anna. I better get back to my studies. Have fun with Elsa! And call if you need anything," Chris says as he speedwalks back to his chamber.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Anna calls to him.

"What?"

"Breakfast?"

"Oh, right! I'll clean it right away!"