Chapter Nine || Lexie

I couldn't live like this. Dry, crackly skin. Sunburn everywhere. Skinny, but not in a good way. Sunken, bloodshot eyes. Frizzy, greasy hair.

The list goes on.

I was making progress with Killian, but I was beginning to grow bored. But I wouldn't leave him. I would get him to leave me.

"Could the boys around here be more manly and go fetch us girls some fish," I yawned one morning.

"But our sunburn hurts in the salt water," Killian said.

"I agree with blondie," Ruby said. "Go on. Get us some fish." A wicked grin appeared on her face.

"But my arm is broken," Killian pleaded, becoming desperate.

"You still have legs. C'mon, be a strong boy," I smiled.

"I'll go," Chad said.

I passed an appreciative look his way. "Truly manly."

Killian's fist balled up, only one since the other one was broken. "Fine! I'll go too!" He ripped off his already decaying shirt and jumped into the water. With an eye roll, Chad followed suit.

"I'm excited for some fish!" Jovie cheered.

"Me too," I said. "Me too..."

An hour later, Chad had swam all around and got us all a ton of fish. A new one seemed to appear on the deck every five minutes. His skin was clearly burning, but he was smiling when he climbed back on the boat.

Killian had gotten zero fish and actually got out of the water after five minutes. Loser.

Sucking the eyes out of the fish, I ignored Killian's constant huffs and turned to Chad. "Thanks," I said.

"Sure thing," Chad said, moving toward the tiller. "So guys, you'll never believe it!" He paused for a half second. "I think I saw an island while I was swimming!" Turning the tiller, the lifeboat slowly turned.

"Hey!" Killian ripped away from his tarp-blanket and stood up. "I'm the leader! Get off the tiller, you pain!"

"Let him! He's taking us to an island!" Jovie giggled.

"No-"

Ruby punched Killian in the side of the head, knocking him out cold. I couldn't help but roar with laughter. Knuckles bloody, Ruby let out a chuckle herself.

Leaving Killian to bleed on the bottom of the boat.

We moved toward Chad's alleged island. It took some time, but we finally arrived.

"It's quite small," I muttered.

"It's better than nothing," Jovie pointed out, stepping out of the boat.

I nodded, admitting it was good to touch land again. My feet sank into the soggy sand and I almost moaned. I miss land so much!

"There's a little pond!" Chad called from a couple meters inland, which was about in the middle of the small island.

Racing through the small patch of trees, I found Chad bathing in the clear pond, drinking up the water. It seemed his shirt had fully disintegrated.

Slipping into the water, I exhaled happily. The cool, mostly fresh, water ran along my sunburnt, salty skin and I drank it all in. Jovie and Ruby also joined in and it quickly became very tight.

"This is amazing!" Jovie cheered. "And I even think I saw some berries. It's perfect!"

"Where will we sleep though?" Chad asked.