Chapter Fourteen || Lexie

There were more boys on the island. But I had to stop myself. I needed to stay with Killian. I had to stay with Killian.

Oh but Elijah was blond! Can you really blame me?

I guess you could. But I won't.

"Where are you going?" Killian snuffed from the bed.

"Midnight walk," I said, not inviting him to join me. In truth, I was going to visit Elijah. By now it had become routine for me to see him every third night an hour or so after the sun had set.

"Going to see Chad?"

I was taken aback. So it was him that started the rumors. "No. Why in the world would I go see that slimy mole rat?"

I remembered when I had first met Elijah at the dinner. He was hot as hell and I wanted every part of it. Not able to stop myself, I struck up a conversation with him, and... it didn't go well.

Cold as ice. But I warmed him up.

I was too good at it. It was painful.

"You always seemed to watch Chad."

"I'm loyal. Stop being paranoid."

"I want a family with you. I want to live with you forever. I can't let you run off and not tell me where you're going."

"I told you. I'm going for a walk. Alone." I sighed. Killian always brought up this whole starting a family thing. He knew that was my own dream and loved to hold the thought against me. Elijah never did that.

Killian sat up. "Why can't I come with you?"

"Because you exhaust me!" I snapped.

"Don't snap at me!"

"Sorry, babe." Lowing myself, I leaned my head onto his shoulder. "I'm just so tired. This is tiring, you know?"

"Yeah."

"I'm not ready for a family," I said, turning to him. "I'm only sixteen. And I'm still figuring out where I want to be." As if I'd leave with Elijah.

"Be with me. The life expectancy on this island wouldn't be nearly as long as usual. We might as well be middle-aged."

I did my best to suppress my sigh. "We'll talk tomorrow." I got up and walked out of the lodge. Killian didn't call me back so I continued down the familiar trail and found myself at Elijah's camp once again.

"Hey," he said softly from inside his shelter.

With a guilt-filled smile, I entered the home and sat down beside him. Goodness, even in low light his chin made me suck in a breath. His cold eyes had this air to them that I couldn't resist. Killian was nothing compared to him... but what could I do?

"He's onto us," I peeped.

"What?" Elijah asked.

"K- Killian."

Elijah sighed. "Why don't you just leave him?"

"It's not my place."

"What is this? Some medieval time? We might have less advanced technology on this island, but our ideology can still be modern."

My lips curled down. "What are you suggesting, 'Ology-boy? I leave him? I couldn't do that. He wants to start a family."

Elijah snorted. "A family? You're sixteen!"

"I know... but he has a lot of good reasons! Our lives on this island won't be as long and hope of rescue is basically nonexistent..."

There were a few moments of silence before Elijah spoke. He gazed deep into my eyes and said his words slowly, but genuinely.

"Why do we have to repopulate?"

We.

Enchanting.

Was I pretty enough for him?

"Do you want to die here?" I asked.

"Well, we kinda have to if there is no hope of rescue."

"I mean, do you want to leave nothing on this planet? Just die and be forgotten?" Having kids would ensure a legacy of some sort. Like we weren't living just to die and be erased besides a picture in some old yearbook.

"So Killian plans to have kids with you and start a family of sorts on the island? Well, whatever floats your boat." Elijah shifted and lied down.

I crept down beside him. Using his arm as a pillow, I closed my eyes.

That's when I heard the footsteps.

"Get off me," Elijah hissed, "people are coming."

I snapped up and quickly nodded, but it was too late. Torch in hand, Killian appeared in the doorframe of the lean-to. There were shuffles behind him. He wasn't the only one, but he was the one who spoke.

"It wasn't Chad. But you were cheating," Killian snapped.

Groggy, I flipped my palms out toward him in an obedient surrender. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

From the light of the torch, I saw tears in Killian's eyes.

"YOU TRAITOR!" he roared. "YOU ABSOLUTE-" He cursed.

I winced.

"Eel..." a voice said. Adeline. "I... I can't believe you."

Still furious, Killian moved to the side and allowed Elijah and me outside of the shelter and to the circle of teens that had gathered. Practically everyone had come to witness my crime.

Guilt wrapped inside of me.

"What? He couldn't satisfy her. I helped her out," Elijah said.

A snap of movement blurred my vision. Blood was dripping down Elijah's nose and Killian was wiping his now bloody fist. Killian flew out and hit the ground with a crack. A soft cackle escaped from Elijah's lips, the same lips I had kissed.

"Stop!" Jovie cried.

"He attacked me first!" Elijah argued.

Jovie helped Killian off the ground. He now stood with a slight limp. This was all my fault. All my fault.

"Elijah, Killian," I said. "Stop, okay? We can work this out."

"There is nothing to work out," Killian snapped. "You can either go with him or go with me. I say you stay with me."

"Go with Killian," Adeline said. Why did she care?

"You'd really forgive me?" I asked Killian, ignoring cranky Adeline.

"Yes. This is your one chance. You slip up and I'll really kick you to the curb." Killian's eyes were cold, empty orbs.

Orbs. Lack of a better word, I guess.

Everyone's eyes were on me. My hands itched and I ached for warmth. Killian was my true route, but something in me still wanted Elijah. Duty and roles told me to stay obedient to Killian. Heart and mind told me to take the freedom of Elijah.

We might have less advanced technologies on this island, but our ideas can still be modern.

"Elijah," I said. "I... I want to stay with you."

Sorry, duty and roles.