Part Twenty Two

Part Twenty-two

Anya frowns. "You didn't know that?"

I definitely did not know that. Harley Banks is a mermaid. The Harley Banks. The Harley from the Banks founding family is a mermaid. The very same Harley that is dating my brother. Oh my god.

My mouth slams shut in time to gasp out loud. "She's a mermaid? Does she have a mate yet?"

Both Austin and Anya frown. "What an odd first question?" Anya mutters looking surprised.

I turn my gaze to Austin for the answer. He shrugs. "I don't know, I don't think so."

"She's dating my brother." I say like that's the reason I'm bewildered about Harley Banks being a mermaid. If she's a mermaid she should have a mate, if she does then why is she messing with my brother? That's how that works, isn't it? Unless I've misunderstood Austin's words. "Having a mate is for life is not?"

Anya nods. "For life until you're rejected, or you're mate dies. What does it matter? If Harley is dating your brother, it should really be no brainer at this point, Isla."

I shake my head. "My brother is human."

"I told you; Isla is the only one in her family. The bloodline is dormant, well it was." Austin explains to Anya.

She frowns. "Maybe Harley hasn't found her mate."

I groan. "That makes it worse! What if she finds her mate while she's with my brother? They can't be together."

"That's not really your decision, Isla." Anya says.

I shake my head, getting up from the table. "I'm seeing her at dinner tonight, I'll talk to her then. Thank you for looking at the picture, Anya."

"Isla! Where are you going?" Austin catches up to me as I try to bail. He grabs my arm, turning me to face him.

I point over my shoulder. "I need to help nana pack up. I can't believe I never knew the Banks' family are merfolk."

"It's kind of fitting though, don't you think? That both the founding families of the town are merfolk." He grins.

"I'm sure I'll find that funny after I've gotten pass the shock." I mutter, turning away from him. I get no more then two steps before I can feel him brush my arm as he keeps pace with me.

"Would you like me to point out the merfolk?" he whispers as we walk.

I give him a look before searching the thinning crowd of the markets. I try to pick who I think could possibly be merfolk, but they all look like humans. I don't know if there is a tell I should be looking for or if it's just a pure guessing game.

"Go on then." I fold my arms across my chest, holding the drawing pad tightly.

He grins, nodding. "Her." He points to the redhead just ahead of us. She's wearing a long pink summer dress; her feet are bare as she studies the contents of a market stall. "I met her at the bar."

There is nothing obvious about her that screams I'm a mermaid. Although one could say the long flowy redhead cascading down to her lower back reminds you of The Little Mermaid.

"Doesn't seem obvious." I mutter.

He snorts. "It's not. We've gotten very good at blending in. He is but she's not." He points to a couple walking pass us in the other direction. The guy must hear us, or perhaps he knows Austin because he looks back as I look at him and winks. "Tyler's a ladies' man."

I look back at Austin. I would never have guessed Tyler was a merman. I feel like I've been walking around this town blind my entire life. Hell, I didn't even know the Banks' family were merfolk and it was right under my nose. I wonder if they know our bloodline is a dormant one. I wonder how far back in my bloodline does the dormancy go. Who decided they didn't want to be merfolk anymore?