Part Twenty Three

Part Twenty-Three

"These are really good." He says, looking up from my drawing pad after being silent for what feels like forever.

"They're okay."

He snorts. "They're really good, Isla. Do you draw other people, like here at the markets or something?"

I shake my head. "It's more of a hobby. I haven't drawn anything in a little while. I've been preoccupied I guess."

He closes the book and hands it back to me. He checks his watch, sighing heavily. I guess that means we'll be going our separate ways any minute now. He closes the container on his finished food, so I begin cleaning my own mess up.

"About what Anya said earlier, you really don't want to join us do you?" Austin asks when I stand up.

I frown, what Anya said earlier? I search my brain, pulling up the conversation with Anya. Oh right, she's going for a swim tonight and I got invited. I block the blonde mermaid out of my head, so it doesn't hinder my second chance decision.

"What time do you think you're going?"

He shrugs, standing up with his rubbish. "Not sure yet, I can find out and call you later."

Call me? What is with him and wanting to call me? What's wrong with texting? "Text me, I'm having dinner with my family tonight. My brother is bringing his new girlfriend, Harley who's apparently a mermaid Banks."

He snickers on his way to the bin. "You act like it's a crime to want to call you."

"Texting is just so much easier." I follow him to the bin and get rid of my half-eaten wrap.

"Not really, it's prolonged and dragged out. I have to wait possibly hours to hear your response."

"You're being dramatic, it's not that long."

We walk to my car. "But you are thinking about joining us tonight?" he asks.

I nod. "Yeah, I mean it will be safer with two of you around. Where would we go?"

He shrugs. "Wherever we want to."

I smile, biting my bottom lip. We can swim wherever we want to. Imagine travelling everywhere purely just by swimming. The cost of travelling is practically non existent for a mermaid who chooses to swim everywhere. I laugh out loud at the thought.

"What?"

I shake my head, unlocking the car. "Nothing I was just thinking about travelling costs for a mermaid."

He laughs. "It's kind of impractical though."

I frown. "How so?"

"How do I get my luggage to my destination? If I take it with me in the water, it gets wet and probably ruined. And say goodbye to your electronics."

I narrow my eyes; he's thought about it also apparently. "Surely there's a waterproof suitcase out there somewhere."

He raises a brow. "Yeah, but how waterproof is it really? And for prolonged periods of time in deep depths, I call bullshit."

I laugh, covering my mouth for the absurdity leaving his mouth. "You've put too much thought into this."

He grins, shrugging. "Like you said it is a more cost-effective way to travel. Being a human has its downs."

"Costly travel is a con of being a human?" I open the driver's door, leaning my chin on the frame.

"It certainly is, which means it's a pro of being a merman. I'll take it, gladly."