6: Caretaker [Week 2]

A/N: This chapter is frickin' long, and the first chapter with no large time cuts. This chapter was supposed to be part of chapter 5, so you can understand why I split it into two :P But hey, tell me if you like chapters like this, or if you prefer me to go faster (srsly, feedback is appreciated). I'm supposed to catch up with 3 years and I used up 2 chapters on ONE DAY xP Anyways, thank you for reading if you still are! I'm sorry if this is kinda overdone... I can get carried away... hehe. But cheers to theperfectdisguise for starting a new fanfic! Adieu and enjoy~

It was the evening and Harry had finally come back from the doctor. He was sent straight to the boys' room to rest. He was anxious to see his friends and to explain to them what the doctor had said, but only Niall was in the room when he returned.

Niall wasn't completely sure where the other boys had gone, and he was the only company Harry had until they came back. Harry had noticed that Louis had left his phone in the room to charge, and so he texted Zayn instead, but his only reply was 'Busy coming back soon. glad ur better.'

After two hours, the boys still had not returned, and Harry was beginning to wonder how soon was 'soon'. Niall had eventually given up on staying in the room with Harry and went out to have dinner. Although Harry couldn't blame Niall because – seeing as there was absolutely nothing to do in the room – he was beginning to get a little restless in the small space.

He had been lying in bed for two hours, trying not to overwork himself as the doctor had suggested – but the inactivity was boring him to death. Louis’ phone beeped on the table beside him. He looked over and the screen flashed a notification: 'Fully charged'. Harry unplugged the phone and set it back down.

A desire began to play in his mind; his hands itched to hold Louis’ phone once again. Although he knew that Louis' wouldn't like it, it was something he just could not resist. He picked up the phone hesitantly, as if someone was watching, set the phone in his hands in front of him and sat up. Upon unlocking the phone, he found himself instantaneously clicking on the call logs. Louis had two missed calls since that morning, both from Hannah.

She had left two voice messages for him: one after breakfast and one during the soundcheck. Harry didn’t know what went through his mind at the time, but as if acting upon instinct, Harry proceeded to delete the messages, even without checking them. He was restive, tired, bored and lonely – consequence was the last thing to cross his mind.

Harry now was curious about how often Louis had actually been talking to Hannah. He had been disappearing more frequently now than before, sometimes walking away in the middle of conversations and not coming back until hours later, much like this morning during breakfast. He clicked on the list for all received calls and scrolled through quickly. Hannah, Hannah, Hannah, Hannah, Hannah

Hannah’s name amassed the majority of the list, its only match being ‘Mum’. Harry understood that Louis would hardly have the need to call the boys, seeing as they were practically always at each other’s side, but the lack of any other name irked him. Harry thought back to when they first stayed together in the bungalow. Louis used to ignore his phone if he was with the boys, regardless of who it was. But that was before they moved into the X Factor house – before anyone got homesick.

As he was about to look through his messages, Louis' phone rang unexpectedly. Who would’ve guessed? It was Hannah. Harry stared at the phone's screen for a while, wondering what to do. He could answer it and tell Hannah that Louis wasn't around, which most likely was the best thing to do... or he could just ignore the call.

His hands acted before his mind could catch up, and he reached out for the end-call button. It was only seconds later when he realised what he had done; it would be obvious that it wasn't a missed call, he had ended it way too early. Harry gave himself a mental slap and decided to go back to the call logs. If he deleted the call record, then maybe Louis wouldn't notice at all.