004. A 100 percent

1427 words

"In fact, none of us are completely free from prejudice. We all have preconceived ideas about others."

Ugh, another boring lecture. I really wish a light would fall on me right now and bust my skull open.

"Here, 'free from' means the lacking in or unincumbered by." Ms. Park taps on the board, "Anyone want to interpret this?"

I slam my head onto the table, "I would, if I understood whatever the fuck I just heard."

Hee-su stands up. Yeah, that's my girl!

"Okay. Hee-su."

"I need to use the bathroom." Hee-su says and I notice she looks paler than usual.

"Okay, go."

As she passes by Su-hyeok, I grab her arm. "Are you feeling okay? You don't look very well."

She nods, "Yeah, I'm okay. Don't worry." I let go, "If you say so."

Mrs. Park sighs, "Okay, then. Anyone wanna have a crack at it, huh?" She taps on the board again, "Class president?"

Nam-ra's head shoots up and I laugh. She probably has her airpods in right now.

Su-hyeok writes 'Did you actually fuck Gwi-nam's dad?' on my paper as Nam-ra starts to speak and laughs.

I scoff and shush him. "My girlfriend is about to speak."

"She's your girlfriend?"

"In my dreams she is. Now be quiet." He stares at me and I poke his eye. Good, he better look away.

"The truth is, all of us have some sort of prejudice. We all have preconceptions about other people."

Ughh she's so smart.

"Hmm, okay. Nice." Me and Mrs. Park make eye contact and I look down. Please don't say my name, please don't say my name, please don-

"Next, Bare-su. Stand up."

Thank god.

Su-hyeok stands up, "Yes?"

"What's with 'Bare-su'?"

I sit up straight, "Finally, a question I have an answer for! It's short for Barefoot Su-hyeok. Bare-su." I state.

"Ah. He hates wearing socks. He's so weird about it." Dae-su says and looks at Su-hyeok. "I can smell it a mile away."

"Okay, Bare-su. What did Nam-ra say a minute ago?"

"Uh..."

The whole class mocks him, "Uh..."

"She was absolutely correct. A hundred percent." He says. I look at his face. Goddamn.

"What was her absolutely correct answer then?"

He looks at me with pleading eyes and I shrug, not taking my eyes off his face once. "I don't know, my 'pet alligator' ate my ears."

He's kinda fine now that I think about it.

Oh my gosh and I left my backpack in the announcement room yesterday when I was trying to convince Nam-ra to let me make an announcement. I'm such a dumbass.

My dream of singing Hype Boy to an audience stays unfulfilled. 

The class laughs. Back to reality I guess. "Oh my god, I hate you so much." Su-hyeok looks around as if searching for the answer, "All right..."

"Wait," I point at the door. "Guys is that Hyeon-ju?"

I stand up when a bloody Hyeon-ju slides the door open.