Chapter 43

The rules for a female pureblood's first soiree of the new season are similar to those of a patient pre-surgery. No food or drink 8 hours prior, including avoiding tobacco, drugs, and alcohol. If you have children, arrange for childcare. Be advised to keep your scheduled consultation for any last-minute changes. Wear adequate attire and make sure your affairs are in order. You never know what could go wrong in a wink of an eye or a clink of a drink.

With the big event comes many trials and no room for error. Now you can't choose your family, but you can select your friends. It pays to have a companion in a world ruled by bloodlines, bank accounts, and all things beautiful. And for one, nervous, careful witch, it benefits from having four of them. The Rosemont sisters have been practicing, preparing, and pouring the rules of pureblood etiquette into Hermione. Throughout the hot months of July and August, the ladies have strived to do their best work with Marcus's lady love.

While one sister worked on social graces, another labored on the art of first impressions. While one Rosemont witch toiled on beauty, highlighting the inner and outer, the other devoted effort to dining etiquette. So the older ladies sought to develop Hermione's necessary skills and personal strength through practical principles. These are applied by refining character, poise, and charm, which all pureblood girls are supposed to have.

More than once, the younger witch mentioned, "They should teach this to all first-year witches and wizards at Hogwarts. Everyone needs a little polishing, especially in manners." She couldn't help but think of Ron and his bad eating habits. It made her stomach a little queasy in disgust.

By the time of the first fall soiree, the sisters believed Hermione was ready. Whatever she lacks, the four of them will be there to guide her through the turbulent waters. The week before the social gathering, Idalia (who was in charge of the beautification side of things) accompanied her soon-to-be niece shopping. Together they went from store to store in search of the perfect afternoon luncheon outfit. Everything Hermione thought would work or look lovely, Idalia wrinkled her nose in distaste.

The fun, sophisticated woman reminded the young lady, "One does not need to look like a peacock in order to command attention. Less is more. Did you not listen to Cecilia when she covered that in the art of first impressions?"

Hermione remarked, putting back a jeweled top, "I did pay attention, but this is just so pretty." Her hand lingered on the gem neckline.

In her smooth, crystalline voice, Idalia shook her head and reminded, "It may be pretty, but that's not for you. Everyone at the garden party will be watching you and expecting you to fail. What you wear is a part of that. So we cannot leave any doubt. The goal is for these peahens to see the outfit but focus on you more, understand?"

She gently nudged the girl away from the sparkle and onto the tweeds. The older witch began rummaging racks of tweed outfits and matching suit separates. The lady picked through color after color until she made a choice. In an ironic twist, a green tweed jacket and skirt were declared the winner. All shades of green were woven with black and cream to boot, each a stand-alone Slytherin color.

Even though the selection may have seemed stuffy and like something a middle-aged woman would wear, it really was not. The jacket had flirty fringe detailing at the sleeve and at the opening, which kept it youthful, like the skirt with a black leather side stripe. Underneath, Hermione would wear a creamy sleeveless silk shell. The jewelry would have minimal gold bangles, a long necklace, and diamond earrings. As for shoes, a pair of iridescent green high heels were paired with it, also making the tweed less formal.

Hermione feels quite put together, but she wonders, "Does it truly make a difference that I wear this?"

Again Idalia told her, "Yes. What you wear is very important, especially to the older witches in attendance. It is a way to say who you are and what you're all about without speaking. So it's worth doing well. And the best thing you can wear is confidence and a smile."