Chapter 15

When Hermione finished getting ready, using all of the hair and makeup tricks Ginny taught her, she called for Topsy. Marcus's faithful, exuberant house elf popped in and greeted her. "Is Mistress Mione needing Topsy for anything?" the friendly elf asked. His hands clutched at his pearly white pillowcase covering while a big smile graced his elvish face.

With a flush to her skin at being called mistress, the nervous witch inquired of the older elf, "Does this outfit need anything that it might be missing to meet Marcus's grandmother? Is there something I should carry to present to her like flowers or a bottle of wine, perhaps?"

Topsy's face cringed at the words bottle of wine, knowing full well that all pureblood homes are equipped with wine cellars. So, he said, "Mistress Mione brings nothing to The Grand CC, her just brings herself. The Grand CC is having everything. Mistress Mione is not needing to worry. Her is being fine for meeting The Grand CC." The elf patted Hermione's hand in a comforting manner. Then he popped out of the room.

The way Topsy said The Grand CC made Hermione chuckle. She supposes that if Lady Fawley's home is as splendid as this one, and from how Marcus speaks of her, the woman is clearly grand. She twirled on her heels with one last look in the mirror and a final spray of Hot Hair. Running a dollop of Sleekeazy's over the luscious locks, the witch declared, "This is as good as it's going to get."

When she exited the room and met Marcus in the floo salon, he let a loud whistle. His eyes looked her over like one looks over a dessert menu. A sudden heat went through Hermione's skin as if knowing she's the dessert. "You look pretty," he told her, wearing a brilliant smile.

Fiddling with the thick-waisted belt, Hermione questioned, "Are you sure I shouldn't bring anything to meet her? Topsy said no. That I only need to bring myself to meet The Grand CC."

They both chuckled at his grandmother's moniker given to her by the elves. Holding his girlfriend's hand, Marcus stated, "No. Topsy is correct. You don't need to bring anything; everything will be alright. I promise. Just breathe. My Gram is looking forward to meeting you. I've told her all about you, and she's the one who's been nervous about making a good impression. I think the two of you will get along splendidly."

His words calmed her nerves down a little. However, it still doesn't help the fact that this woman is his grandmother. She's the one significant adult in Marcus's life, and Hermione must simply win her over. If she fails, it will only make a complex situation even more complicated. Right now, it's a convoluted wizarding world. People have a hard enough time finding each other. So when they do, like she and Marcus, they need all the support they can get. His grandmother's approval will go a long way in the face of Voldemort and purebloods like his parents.

Looking into Hermione's eyes, Marcus lightly squeezed her hand. He explained, "The floo will take us into Gram's floo salon. From there, we'll meet her on the terrace overlooking the back grounds of the house. Are you ready?"

With a slight nod, her hand gripped his tighter. Then he pulled them into the floo and off to his grandmother's house. As they brushed off their clothing, Pippy greeted the couple. "Young Master Marcus and Missy Mione! Pippy's been looking for yous all afternoons. Come, come! Mistress CC has teas and biscuits set." Her ears flapped in happiness.

The young couple followed the happy house elf. Hermione took in the sight of the humongous manor home. Marcus's chateau is luxurious, but this is nothing short of extravagant. It has a double wrought iron staircase that wraps around in a circular fashion, with a terrific chandelier as a centerpiece. It seems to pull the room together by connecting both to the other. When one passes under the stairs, it leads to the giant wall of windows and French doors exiting onto the back terrace. Once outside, Hermione turned to look up at the massive manor. It's so huge her eyes could scarce take it in.