chapter one

"YAMI!! wake up, wake up!!!!"

the sudden, high pitched squeals awoke hayami. she shot up quickly in her bed, her heart racing.

"huh?" she asked, not fully connected to reality yet. after a few seconds her vision came intact, and she saw her little brother, haruki right next to her.

"good morning, sis!" he said. the little boy was bouncing up and down with a big smile on his face. "do you know what today is?" he asked. he crossed his hands onto his lap, waiting for hayami's reply.

of course she knew what today was. how could she forget? but, being the good sister she is, she decided to tease the boy.

"hmm," she hummed. she looked up at the sky and tapped her chin, pretending not to know. "is it... christmas?"

haruki chuckled. "no, silly!" he said. his smile was wide as he waited for his sister to get the answer right.

"hmm, i wonder," hayami continued to bug her little brother. she sighed, "i can't figure it out, haru."

haruki was still laughing. "it's my birthday! im 7 now!"

hayami fake-gasped. "how did i ever forget?" she asked, but then began to laugh, letting go of her little trick.

"of course i knew what today was, bub, i was just playing with you," she said, poking his nose.

"are you still going to go get my cake?" haruki asked, crawling into his sister's lap.

she held onto him and nodded. "after i get dressed and grab something for breakfast, i'll be going to get it."

haruki wrapped his arms around hayami. "thank you!!" he said, his face in her neck, "you're the best." hayami smiled and hugged him back.

"i'm going to get dressed real quick," hayami said, letting go of him, "and i will meet you in there."

"okay!" haruki said, getting off of her lap and leaving her room, closing her door behind him.

hayami sighed. 'he's such a sweetheart,' she said to herself. she stretched and got out of bed. she walked over to her closet to look for clothes.

she pulled out a plain white tank top, a blue hoodie, and a pair of black leggings. she changed out of her pajamas and into the clothes she picked.

she grabbed a hair tie off of her dresser and threw her hair into a messy bun before walking out of her room.

hayami walked into the living room and saw haruki sitting on the couch. his eyes were glued to the television in front of him which was playing his favorite show. she walked behind the couch and rubbed his head and she passed by.

she walked into the kitchen where her mother was sitting at the table, drinking her morning coffee. her mother looked up and met eyes with hayami.

"ah," she said with a comforting tone, "good morning sweetheart."

hayami walked up to her mother and kissed her on the cheek. "morning, mom," she said. she walked to the cabinet and pulled out the box of muffins. she took one out and tore the wrapping off.

"while you're out getting your brother's cake," hayami's mother said, "can you get a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread? we're running out."

hayami smiled. "of course, mom," she said, eating her muffin. after she was finished with it, she walked over to the door and grabbed her shoes. "i best get going now. i don't wanna get there and see that the store's packed."

her mother nodded. "alright, honey," she said before sighing. "thank you for being such a big help around here. i don't know what we would do without you."