2.06

CHAPTER SIX!
alternatively titled: riding with dead confederates

"THERMOS!" PERCY SCREAMED AS THE LIFEBOAT HURTLED TOWARDS THE WATER

"What?" Annabeth must've thought he had lost his mind. She was holding on to the boat straps for dear life, her hair flying straight up like a torch.

But Keiryn understood. He managed to open Percy's duffel bag and take out Hermes's magical thermos without losing his grip on it or the boat, which was unprecedented for him. (you know, being the clumsy person that he is)

Percy grabbed the thermos, "Hang on!"

"We are hanging on, dumbass!" Aurora yelled over the wind.

He ignored her last comment and just yelled, "Tighter!

Percy hooked his feet under the boat's inflatable bench while Tyson grabbed Annabeth and Aurora by their collars, them both wrapping their arms around the boys' waists. He gave the thermos cap a quarter turn.

Instantly, a white sheet of wind jetted out of the thermos and propelled the boat sideways, turning their downward plummet into a forty-five-degree crash landing. The wind seemed to laugh as it shot from the thermos, like it was glad to be free. As they hit the ocean, they bumped once, twice, skipping like a stone, then they were whizzing along like a speed boat, salt spray in their faces and nothing but sea ahead.

You could hear a wail of outrage from the ship behind them, but the five questers and their little boat were already out of weapon range. The Princess Andromeda faded to the size of a white toy boat in the distance, and then it was gone.

As the five of them raced over the sea, Annabeth and Aurora tried to send an Iris-message to Chiron. They figured it was important to let somebody know what Luke was doing, and they didn't know who else to trust.

The wind from the thermos stirred up a nice sea spray that made a rainbow in the sunlight—perfect for an Iris-message—but the connection was still poor. When Annabeth threw a gold drachma into the mist and prayed for the rainbow goddess to show them Chiron, his face appeared all right, but there was some kind of weird strobe light flashing in the background and rock music blaring, like he was at a dance club.

They told him about sneaking away from camp, and Luke and the Princess Andromeda and the golden box for Kronos's remains, but between the noise on his end and the rushing wind and water on their end, Aurora wasn't sure how much he heard.

"Percy, Aurora," Chiron yelled, "you have to watch out for—"

His voice was drowned out by loud shouting behind him—a bunch of voices whooping it up like Comanche warriors.

"What?" Percy yelled.

"Curse my relatives!" Chiron ducked as a plate flew over his head and shattered somewhere out of sight. "Annabeth, you shouldn't have let either of them leave camp! But if you do get the Fleece—"