2.15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!
alternatively titled: you're a genius

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!alternatively titled: you're a genius

"YOU'D THINK HE'D RUN OUT OF ROCKS," AURORA GRUMBLED.

"Swim for it!" Grover said.

He, Aurora, Keiryn and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Annabeth hung on to Clarisse's neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet Fleece weighing her down.

But the monster's attention wasn't on the Fleece.

"You, young Cyclops!" Polyphemus roared. "Traitor to your kind!"

Tyson froze.

"Don't listen to him!" Percy pleaded. "Come on."

He pulled Tyson's arm, but he might as well have been pulling a mountain. He turned and faced the older Cyclops. "I am not a traitor."

"You serve mortals!" Polyphemus shouted. "Thieving humans!"

Polyphemus threw his first boulder. Tyson swatted it aside with his fist.

"Not a traitor," Tyson said. "And you are not my kind."

"Death or victory!" Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded. He immediately stumbled and fell on his face. That would've been funny, except he started to get up again, spitting salt water and growling.

"Percy!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on!"

The others were almost to the ship with the Fleece. If Percy could just keep the monster distracted a little longer...

"Go," Tyson told him. "I will hold Big Ugly."

"No! He'll kill you." Percy protested, he turned and yelled over his shoulder, "Keep going guys! Tyson and I'll fight him together."

"Together," Tyson agreed.

Aurora and the others made it to the ship, the others insisting she go first so that she could help Annabeth up. Aurora climbed the rope ladder and then held her arms out to haul her best friend back over the top. Clarisse waved frantically at Percy to get him to hurry up once she'd climbed on.

Tyson worked his way around Polyphemus, trying to get behind him.

"Young one!" the older Cyclops called. "Where are you? Help me!"

Tyson stopped.

"You weren't raised right!" Polyphemus wailed, shaking his olive tree club. "Poor orphaned brother! Help me!"

No one moved. Then Tyson stepped forward, raising his hands defensively. "Don't fight, Cyclops brother. Put down the—"

Polyphemus spun toward his voice.

"Tyson!" Percy shouted.

The tree struck him with such force it would've flattened a mortal into a pizza. Tyson flew backward, plowing a trench in the sand. Polyphemus charged after him, but Percy shouted, "No!" and lunged as far as he could with Riptide.