The burdens of heartbreak

It was a cold windy night, Gil was making his way to the other side of the island. Where the woods are. He wanted to be alone. Hidden. Somewhere he wouldn't be a burden. He was heading for the deep woods. Up in the mountain on swallow falls. He decided to go there since the island is only so big, but still plenty big enough to where it would take days to travel.

It was very cold, but he was going to have to get use to it. In a way Gil felt like he was orphaned somehow, he felt it hit like a ton of bricks. All he could do was try to go on while bearing the burdens of a broken heart. He was also going to have to get use to being homeless.

Gil loved his father so much, that he was willing to leave home, to make his father happy. Even if it tore him apart.. and now he's out there on his own.

    A few days later at the Shelbourne mansion:

Mayor Shelbourne was getting rather anxious, he hasn't seen Gil in nearly 2 days! Where was he?? He always came crawling back begging for another chance to do everything better. He's never been gone this long before.. then mayor Shelbourne noticed a camera on the floor of his room.

Oh it's Gil's recorder thing. Mayor Shelbourne turned it on and pressed play and saw a video. He saw Gil in the videos.

Mayor Shelbourne went through many of Gil's goofy videos. Some of them were about random things he liked, like video games or shows. A lot of them however, Gil was talking about him. How much he loved him and how much he thought he was the greatest father ever. Gil clearly didn't know what a good father was.

    He pressed play on another video and heard Gil talking.

Gil: I don't know why.. but my dad really seems to just hate me for some reason.. it's like he dreads the fact that I even exist.. so half the time he pretends I don't exist I don't know why.. I'm trying to convince myself deep down he loves me even just a little, but it's not working.. I feel like I don't want to admit it, but I don't think he ever wanted me..

Mayor Shelbourne watched a few more videos, some of them Gil was singing softly with a beautiful voice. Then came that awful awful video... he pressed play..

Gil: okay it's almost Christmas! And it's so exciting omg look at all the pretties I hung up!!! Gil pointed the camera to the Christmas decorations hung up all over the mansion. Okay so this Christmas, I made mayor dad something special!!! I made him this!

Gil pointed the camera to a shiny trophy that said best father ever! I can't wait to give it to him! He IS the best father ever! And I want to record this special Christmas memory! So I'm going to take the camera with me when I give it to him!

Mayor Shelbourne could see Gil taking the camera into his bedroom where he gave him the trophy... okay! Here we go! I'll be back when it's time to give mayor dad his present! Gil said excitedly in the video. Then with a shaking hand mayor Shelbourne pressed play on the next video.

There it was.. Gil accidentally falling down with the sandwich, although that's typical, but then.. as the video went on, mayor Shelbourne saw himself yelling at his son, telling him he never wanted him.. telling him that he never wanted to be a father.. that he was useless, and stupid, and no one cared about him..smashing the trophy that Gil made for him, and throwing it on the floor.

THERE! THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOU! I NEVER WANTED TO BE A FATHER, AND I NEVER WANTED YOU!!! THE ONLY CHRISTMAS CHEER I WILL EVER GET IS A LIFE WITHOUT YOU!!!

Mayor Shelbourne watched the video and watched him say horrible, unforgivable words to his son.. mayor Shelbourne's heart completely sank as he watched Gil grab the camera in the video and ran to his room crying. Then another video played.. it was Gil crying.

Gil: This is Gil Shelbourne, and this is probably going to be my last video.. I'm saying goodbye. I can't be here any longer.. I have to leave. I'm nothing but a burden in my fathers life and he wants me gone. So I have to go. I've already packed my things, said Gil as he was crying. I don't know who will find this video, but whoever does, just please don't forget about me. I don't know where I'm going to go, but I have to leave while it's still dark.. This is Gil Shelbourne saying goodbye..

With that, mayor Shelbourne nearly bolted out of his bedroom and ran to his sons room. Gil?! Gil!!! Where are you?! Where have you gone?!? Wha— Then mayor Shelbourne looked down on Gil's bed. He saw a note. It said Goodbye letter on top.

(Dear mayor dad.. well, I guess I shouldn't call you that anymore.. dear Mr mayor sir, I'm sorry that you had me. I'm sorry I was born. I'm sorry I'm a burden in your life. I know I'm your only child, but I also know that you never wanted one either. My whole life I tried to convince myself that deep down, maybe you did love me. I now realize just how wrong I was.. I realize that I'm just a stupid mistake that you made at one point in your life, and that's all I am. I was just an inconvenient result of a short lived relationship you had with someone you barely even knew. I realize that's all I am to you. And I'm sorry. I am leaving. I don't want to make you have to be a father any longer as I can see that is what you dread.. I hope that me leaving will help you get richer. I don't know where I'm going, but I will never bother you again. Thankyou for giving me life, even if it was unintentional. I will always love you. Your son Gil.)

Mayor Shelbourne set the note down with shaky hands. He felt a horrible sense of panic rise within him. Tears began to fall down his face.. he began to feel lightheaded with all panic inside him. Only now did he finally realize what he had done.. mayor Shelbourne sat down as he was getting all shaky with panic. Then he sobbed like he never had before..