Chapter 14

"Hayden!" I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the side alley again as she cursed her phone loudly.

"What?" she snapped.

"Demons." I whispered. She peered around the corner.

"I don't see anything." she said.

"What?" I peered around too. "There were a couple there a minute-"

Suddenly, someone grabbed me from behind and I felt a hand close around my mouth to stop me from screaming. Hayden received a similar treatment.

I struggled for a few seconds, before the demon spoke.

"If you don't stop, I will cut her hand off in front of you."

Hayden struggled in fear, but I stopped.

"Good, I'm glad we understand each other."

The voice was cold, unnerving. It send chills through me. Suddenly, I realised it was the demon we'd knocked out back at the farm.

"Now, let's get these off." the demon grabbed the sunglasses on my face and threw them on the floor. "Thought so."

I felt a slight moment of disorientation, then we were in a dark underground cavern.

"Welcome to hell," the demon spat, throwing me down onto the ground.

I hit the dry dirt hard, and my nose started to bleed. I sat up and turned towards the demon as the other, Thondrea, appeared in the shadows still holding Hayden.

"I'm Satan. I take it you're Cody?"

"Who?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Satan," he repeated. "And I wouldn't suggest trying anything. Next to my king, I am the most powerful demon in the whole of the underworld."

"Should we not inform him that-" Thondrea began.

"Not until we're sure who we've found. Like I said, we wouldn't want to displease him."

"Lucifer?" I asked. Satan reared and hissed as though I'd just offended his great ancestors. Maybe I had. Hell if I know.

"Do not say his name unless you wish to feel his full rage."

"Mm hmm." I said. "So you're basically his lap dog?"

I felt a sharp slap hit my face. I'd half expected it, but that didn't take away the incredible sting that it left.

Satan turned to Thondrea. "Take the boy and put him in one of the cells." he was watching Hayden closely.

"Wait, I-" I began.

"SILENCE!" Satan shouted, and I felt my voice immediately cut off. "Let's hope for both of your sakes' that the girl is co-operative."

Thondrea grabbed my arm and hauled me easily to my feet.

"No, don't!" I tried to say, but no words came out. Satan giggled gleefully, stepping towards Hayden as I was dragged through a big pair of double wooden doors, trying to wriggle free.

"You're the girl who strangled me, right?" Satan smirked. "I'm going to enjoy torturing you."

The last thing I saw before the doors closed behind me was Satan hauling Hayden up to her feet.

***

I didn't know how much time had passed. Hours maybe. I paced the cell, punching the walls and trying every brick, every nook and cranny. But there wasn't a way out.