Chapter 18

It was lucky that Hayden had been around Owen when he was growing up, because I had no idea how to look after a baby.

Actually, I was quite surprised that Nate had allowed the two of us to look after a newborn. I guess the last few days- or rather the last two weeks- had made us more mature and responsible. At least, Nate seemed to think so.

So, basically Hayden looked after Nikki while I watched TV. It worked out perfectly for both of us; I could catch up on the latest football games and Hayden got to spend time with her new baby sister.

Luckily, Nate was only gone for a couple of hours. We'd already started to argue over who'd change a very shitty nappy.

Nate gave me the look when he got back, as though he knew that I hadn't helped out much... okay, at all. Nate told me that I'd make dinner that night, since I hadn't helped out. He was angry because Hayden had a cold and she'd said that I hadn't helped out. I considered arguing, but Hayden had the Mark of Truth on her, so I figured I wouldn't win.

So, it was with great disdain that I took to the kitchen and started making pasta bake.

I'd never been much of a chef, to be fair. I could cook, and I was pretty good at it, but I saw it as a waste of time. Why spend five hours making a meal when you can buy it from Iceland and have it ready in an hour?

It mystified me.

The pasta bake, therefore, turned out pretty good but I hated having to cook it. When everyone got in, I dished it up as we all sat in the big dining room (except for Nikki, who was asleep).

As we ate, Nate's parents told us stories about what trouble he'd gotten into as a kid. I wasn't too interested, but I nodded politely nevertheless. There was no need to be rude.

Owen, who'd spent the day at the zoo, had trouble staying awake. At one point, I thought that he might even fall asleep in his pasta. When it became apparent that he was too tired to eat his dinner, Nate took him upstairs to bed.

Which left me and Hayden stuck with his parents awkwardly for fifteen minutes. I wasn't eager to stick around, so I quickly finished eating and excused myself to start washing up (yes, it was that awkward). Hayden shot me evils as Audrey asked if she had a boyfriend. I stuck my tongue out at her on my way to the kitchen.

I washed up as quickly as I could (because it'd just been an excuse to not be stuck in a room with two people I didn't know and someone who I didn't get along well with) and then went upstairs to get some pyjamas. Nate was in Owen's room, and I could hear the boy crying again as Nate tried to soothe him.

It was only nine o'clock, but I found myself extremely tired. Actually, each step I took seemed to make my legs heavier. I wondered dimly if I'd accidentally drugged the pasta bake without realising as I collapsed onto the bed.

I didn't even bother pulling the cover over me or getting onto my own side. I was fast asleep.

***

Unlike last night, I found myself possessing my dad again. I wondered if there was something important for me to see; I'd barely been asleep when I'd possessed him. Other than in my dreams, I'd only ever possessed Thondrea. I really hoped that I wasn't going to start doing it accidentally in my waking hours as well as in my sleep.

Anyway, I was in a familiar underground cavern. It was dark so I couldn't see much of it, but it seemed to be Lucifer's lair.

In front of me stood the man- sorry, demon- himself, alongside his son, Satan.

"You've located them?" Lucifer said, his voice somewhere between curiosity and wonder.

Satan nodded to me with a hateful glare. His face was a hot red colour, and steaming slightly. I figured it must've been Lucifer's punishment. I couldn't say that I felt bad for the guy.