Chapter 2

"Lockwood?" asks Lucy later in the cab ride home. The light from the street lamps is an orange smear in the window out of which Lockwood stares. At her voice, he turns, eyes bright and inquiring despite the long night they've had.

"Yes?"

"Back there, at the tavern, you said you saw someone else when you looked at the Fetch." She scratches the end of her nose a bit anxiously. "Who did you see?"

(Flashback)

With a bag in one hand and the other resting on the hilt of his rapier, Lockwood strides to the kitchen. Psychic energy presses against him the whole journey there. He sets the bag down on the ground once he arrives. Then, just for a moment, his heart stalls in his chest. Confusion surges through him, because what he sees is impossible.

Directly in front of him is Lucy - who is very warm, very nervous, but very alive. Across the kitchen, however, is Lucy too, but nothing at all like the girl in front of him.

Lockwood's wide eyes take in every bit of the Visitor in front of him. She's nothing but other light and ectoplasm in the shape of his best friend - he knows that. But still...

Then, he reaches up and touches Lucy in a way that he usually doesn't. Just to make sure that the girl in front of him is solid and alive. Just to make sure that he hasn't lost her yet.

(end of Flashback)

Lockwood, in the cab, waves Lucy's question away with a hand. "Doesn't matter, now," he says. There's a touch of finality in his voice that she's become so used to hearing. That was that, it said. That's all you're going to get from him. Then, he smiles brilliantly at her.

"But, you know," continues Lockwood. "Considering that it ended up being quite a lot more than we bargained for - a relatively powerful Type Two than just an average Cold Maiden - I'd say it went rather well, wouldn't you say?" Lucy nods in agreement.

"Oh, definitely. Usually, when we're unprepared like that, we end up burning our client's house down." Lockwood laughs just once.

"Well," he says. "That's a trend I'm more than happy to break."

Lockwood and Lucy got home safely and found that little George had already gone to bed. So, they wished each other goodnight and soon went to bed.

George, Lucy, and Lockwood were in an old basement of a very big house. They were looking for the source when all of a sodden Lockwood was alone with George and no Lucy. Lockwood searches for Lucy, turning his head everywhere. He soon looks up the steps to find Lucy as white as snow.

"Lucy, are you okay?" Lockwood asked.

"Lockwood, I'm cold. And I don't know where I am. Lockwood, am I dead?" she replies.

Lockwood soon realized that the woman he loves had just turned into a ghost. His heart is racing, he can't breathe. He wants to find her and hold her with both his arms.

She can't be dead. He thought. She can't be dead. I didn't get to tell her how much I care for her, how much I need her. How much she means to me.

He couldn't take the pain he was enduring for the loss of his best friend and love.

"Lookwood," Lucy said gently. "find me and leave this place. But first, it's time for you to DIE!"

"What?" Lockwood said, stunned. But by then she was already chasing him through the basement, trying to kill him. He jumped into a ring of chains to keep her away. He pulled out his sword and began swinging.

All of a sudden, a gust of wind blew him out of the circle. He fell on his back and dropped his sword far from him. Lockwood looked his beloved best friend in the eyes and thought one thing as she killed him very gruesomely. This was not meant to be the end for Lucy and me.