Chapter 7

(Lucy's POV)

"Yes, Lockwood, can I help you?" I said in a polite manner.

"Yeah, why are you lying to me?" He said a little angry. "What were you talking about? I know it was something about me and that is what concerns me," he put his hands on his hips and looked at me waiting for the answer to his question. We waited in silence for a while. And as we waited, Lockwood was staring me down with his big, handsome, puppy, brown eyes that were driving me crazy. Wait, hold it Lucy; you can't think that way. He's your boss, so that makes it completely out of the question. Once I was getting a little uncomfortable, I started to talk.

"Look, it wasn't a complete lie. Some of it was true, it's just that... he thought... that... um... you know what. I think you should pretend that you heard nothing and we go on as friends," I said, trying to get off easy. It didn't work.

"Come on Lucy. Would you like me talking behind your back? Now, will you please tell me what you and George were talking about?" he said making a great point. I pondered over it, letting it wash over my brain. I decided to tell him everything. That includes the embarrassing parts.

"Okay," I started to explain. "The thing is that... George thinks that you and me are... kind of... and this is what he thinks. But, George thinks that you and I are made for each other. Like we are supposed to date, but I think that would be unprofessional so can we pretend that none of this happened?" I said it a little too fast but he understood what I was saying. Lockwood gave a gentle nod and walked into the kitchen. He looked a little sad, but other than that he looked the same as usual.

I went in shortly after Lockwood. I sat there looking at my unfinished meal, not hungry because I got a feeling like I broke my own heart.