1492

What if Elijah had been honest with Katherine in 1492? What if she knew more than she did in the show? Would she have run away? Would she have trusted him?

It was only a few days until the ritual that would free Niklaus from the curse that had trapped him for nearly 500 years. Elijah ran a finger along the bottle nestled inside the simple box, hoping it would do as the witches promised him it would.

Soft footsteps with a steady heartbeat alerted him to his Katerina's presence before she could even step inside the room. With ease he put the lid on the box and stowed it inside his desk for safekeeping. "Katerina." his smile faltered when his eyes met her face. Her expression was troubled and she looked wary as she stepped through the doors.

"I must speak with you my Lord." her voice almost quivered in an uncharacteristically fearful way and Elijah felt his stomach drop at the notion that she was afraid of him. "What troubles you?" he watched her tense for a moment as he approached before relaxing. Taking a small and delicate hand between one of his larger ones he gave a gentle squeeze of reassurance as he leaned towards her, running a thumb along the back of her hand softly before placing a gentle kiss to the back. She was certainly frightened, but not of him, no the fear was more likely of the answers she was seeking.

"I-" she swallowed thickly as she hesitated, "I must know if it is true." her brow was furrowed in an uncertain way as she looked him in the eyes, hurt buried deep inside. "I know that you are not human, I have known that for some time." he is still at her admission, "What I must know is this: was I brought here as a sacrifice? Is that all I am to you?" She held her breath and Elijah realized something that both surprised and confused him: his Katerina wasn't upset about the sacrifice, she was upset at the notion that was all he regarded her as.

"My Katerina," he began, reaching for her cheek. He felt relief when instead of flinching away from his touch, she only leaned into it further. "It is true that Niklaus intends to use you as a sacrifice to break his curse." he admits, "But I have known from the very moment I met you that I do not want you to perish." he strokes the smooth skin of her cheek with his thumb as he keeps her hand in his other with a gentle hold. "I have spent much time searching for ways to prevent your demise. I've had a witch make an elixir specially for you that should bring you back from the void of death"