Chapter Sixteen

It was my birthday. That was my first thought when I woke up. I was officially seventeen years old. With a deep breath of the unusually cool, pleasant morning air, I rolled over to check my phone. Aaron had texted me an hour earlier. How he was able to get up so early every day was beyond me.

A: Good morning and happy birthday! How about dinner with me tonight? Free of charge of course ;)

I shook my head, grinning. He could be such a goon.

C: Thank you! And I guess I'll think about it ;)

Still smiling, I trotted downstairs towards the smell of bacon, my stomach rumbling. I was immediately enveloped in a tight hug.

"Oh, Happy Birthday darlin'!" Tilly squealed.

I laughed and hugged her back, "Thanks Grandma," I replied, wiggling out of her grip to snatch a strip of bacon.

"I don't think you'll have the best weather for your special day though," Grandma was saying fretfully as she moved to flip some pancakes in the skillet on the counter, "It supposed to rain all day."

I just shrugged as I slipped into a nearby chair to watch her sprinkle chocolate chips onto the pancakes. She sure knew the way to my stomach's heart.

"That's alright," I said, "It will still be fun."

Tilly served me two large pancakes and a few more strips of bacon, and I dug in happily.

"Aaron wants to take me to dinner tonight, would that be okay?" I asked after the first few bites.

Grandma brightened as she always did whenever I even mentioned Aaron, "Of course honey!" She said, "As long as you two promise to come here after to eat the cake I'm going to bake you."

I grinned, "I don't think he'd pass up on that offer," I replied.

Later, I was admiring the new dress Tilly had bought me for my birthday in the mirror. It fit me perfectly, and I had to admit, she'd done a good job finding something in my style range.

I heard the doorbell ring and hurried downstairs yelling, "I'll get it!"

The doorbell rang once more before I flung the door open.

I froze.

My jaw dropped.

My heart whammed in my chest.

It was my mother.

"W-wha-"

The words wouldn't come out.

My mother slipped off her sunglasses and put them in her purse. All I could think was that it was cloudy outside and why was she wearing sunglasses? She was also several shades tanner than the last time I had seen her. She was wearing a white blouse and a tight black skirt with pointy-toed heels. She gave me the faintest whisper of a smile as she brushed past me with a rolling suitcase in tow.

"Oh how I haven't missed this place," she said flatly.

I could only gape at her.

Grandma came from around the corner with a puzzled frown on her face.

"I must say it has been awhile since I've seen you walk through that door darlin'," she said hesitantly.

"Yes, well.." my mom trailed off not really finishing the sentence. Then she tsked with annoyance, "Don't just stand there Cara, close the door!"