Chapter 22: Over For Dinner

Stacy's POV...

From the moment I met Miss D, I ultimately realized why Xavier is so friendly and generous. Miss D was friendlier and you could see it in the way she carries herself and how she treated me. I was welcomed with open arms and a smile that just seemed to simmer my heart in bliss. Not to mention, the lady even asked me if I'd stay for dinner and that alone placed the cherry on top. I felt as if I was at my GG's house, the aura is divine and I felt more than welcomed to be here. Not only did she make me feel accepted but even asked if I'd join her in cooking.

What has this boy been telling her?.. I thought to myself as I stimulate the cornbread mix in a bowl. The menu for dinner is consisting of smothered turkey wings, rice, roasted vegetables, and flapjack cornbread. I've never had flapjack cornbread. It's either been baked in a cast-iron skillet or... baked in a cast-iron skillet, nothing else. But, Miss D explained it's just the same as making pancakes, instead, it's more of a waiting process since the batter is unquestionably thick. But, overall it's comparable because both sides need to be golden brown and they claim it's delicious.

But I'll be the judge...

Before settling in, I text Tiffany and my other sisters. Informing I would catch them another time because I'm staying here for most of the evening. They understood, but at the same time, it felt as if I left them hanging. That's until Tiffany gave me a call, and the sound of excitement was draped in her voice-along with Claudia. So that kind of cleared up the guilt that was soaking in my chest, and both of my parents don't get home till later this evening. Mom gets off an hour earlier than Dad does. Speaking of those two, they haven't met Xavier yet in person. I've told them about him, and my Dad has been longing to meet him ever since he became my best friend.

Literally... my best friend...

I guess it's because the only boy best friends I have are Markus and Jordan. He doesn't know that we're a couple yet, but my mom is working on telling him. She already knows and thinks he's handsome from seeing him on late-night FaceTiming.

But, back to Xavier's home, the kitchen smelled of Chinese take-out. Miss D had diced up some zucchini, carrots, and beets-roasting them in the oven with complete seasoning. Personally, beets aren't my cup of tea, but seeing them cook with a blend of other veggies made my stomach babble in hunger. Xavier was on rice duty, boiling 5 to 6 cups overall as the fan over the stove was on high. After setting up the rice to boil out on the stove, he shifted his priority over to season the turkey wings. Miss D prepared the skillet, dicing up a small onion and green bell pepper.

"Man, " I expressed. "Y'all really eat good over here, huh?"

"Yeah sometimes, but she be flopping," Xavier responded in a joking expression while taking off his gloves.

Miss D pointed the knife within a blink of an eye, and he flinched with his hands in the air. "Watch yourself boy, or I ain't letting you eat tonight."

"Watch where you point that thing" He shifts his attention to me. "Do you see what I have to deal with?"

"You started it," I said under my breath, with a smile. "And I'm not trying to get cut." I joked

"Oh I ain't gonna hurt you, darling, " She informed me, lowering the knife. "I birth this one, so he's mine to handle."

I was expecting to be slammed with a bunch of questions on how we got together, but it's just been entertainment while cooking. Miss D connected her phone to Xavier's pill, allowing the music to swing into the stillness of the house.