The Delinquent's First Love - Thirty-Seven

The Delinquent's First Love – Thirty-Seven

Staying at the same place as Eric was quite the torture for me. For one, I wanted to comfort him and tell him everything's going to be alright. It's hard to know that you couldn't do anything. The only help we could give to the cops was to stay put and wait for them to call us. I was also kind of hoping that he'd come to me and ask if he could stay the night in my room. But neither of us made the move.

The morning I woke up, he's already up. He was by the open window and just standing there, hugging himself for comfort and assurance.

"Morning," I greeted softly. "You've had breakfast?"

There was no acknowledgment from him but just a shake of his head.

"I can make you coffee, if you want?" I offered. I was afraid to stand beside him. I was afraid of him.

"It's okay," he finally said.

"Okay. If you need anything, I'll be in the kitchen." I lingered for few seconds but he didn't turn around.

Grandma woke up and greeted me a good morning in the kitchen. I poured her a cup of coffee. Grandpa had recovered from the accident and was usually resting in their room.

"Your boyfriend seems distant," grandma commented as she settled on a chair.

I sighed. "He's not my boyfriend anymore." She was bewildered for some reason. "Some things are best left unexplained," I told her.

She sat up and poured another cup of coffee. She grabbed the newspaper on the table and said before leaving, "But sometimes, it's better if you talk things through."

And I was baffled. I never thought in a million years, grandma would give me some advice about how I handle situations I was into.

Lunch by came and Eric hadn't moved a muscle from where he was standing at. I was just about done with my food when the phone started ringing. The police listening on to the call was already on position and Eric had already answered it.

I ran to his side as he talked the person on the other line.

"Oh, thank God," he said. "Thank you so much. Was he with you now?" I waited for him to say something positive again but the next thing I heard were, "What? What do you mean he escaped again?"

I stepped back and ran back to my room. If I assumed right, the person on the other line was Officer Marian and she was calling to tell that Eric's mom was saved. But the bad news was so obvious I fell down on the floor.

Mr. Cameron got away again. I was still not safe.

When would that day come? I just wanted this situation to be over so I could live a normal life again? No one wished for something like this. Why was I the unlucky one?

I felt tears rolled down my cheeks. I was telling myself that I could get through this but every time those positive words get in, something negative would get through. It's hard to be strong in a situation you had no idea what would happen next. How I wished I had some kind of powers to know if I was going to survive another day or not.

I grabbed a pen and paper and listed down things I wanted to do after this was all over. Most of it were getting out of the country and doing extreme adventures. At the end of it was a question mark.

"Jessica?" Eric called on the other side of the door. "Officer Marian would like to talk to you."

"Sure. Just wait a sec," I said. I folded the paper and tucked in under my pillow. I headed out after a minute.